Current Next Gen graphic card questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So I used to be in the know back in the day ( more then a year ago ) will and the jazz with the 8 series cards and how they compared to the lack of ATI equivalents and Nvidia was doing good in the high end market. Now everything has seemingly changed and I got just a little bit of spare time to get more up to date reading wikipedia articles ( don't hate its useful for quick information that offers sources and I just used it to see quick number facts and comparisons ) and some xbit labs articles and benchmarks: X-bit labs - Articles

Anyways heres a few questions that I came up with, sure I can find out the answers to them with more extensive research but I haven't got the time for that and I know some of you folks obsess over this stuff and know it off the top of your head, so heres my questions: ( appreciation offered in advance! )

1. The 9800 gtx2 seemed to do really well in all the performance charts yet xbit stated in a single sentence that it had problems and wasn't supported well, what did they mean exactly by this? Anyone wanna gimmie the scoop?
2. For games that have problems with taking advantage of Crossfire ( say 2 4870s ), does that mean that the 4870 x2 ( the one where 2 GPUs are in 1 card ) will have these same problems or no?
3. So what would be the best video card deal as of now for $200? $300? $400 $500+?
4. By how far is a GTX 260 better then a vanilla 9800 GTX? Or 9800 GTX+? Is the 9 gtx series cards that much better then a 8800 gtx?
5. Why are they still using that 65nm chips, does that still mean the heating problems that plagued the 8 series are still evident in the 9 series and 200 series? ( hate the way nvidia changed the names )
6. Does gigabyte offer many crossfire capable mobos? Also doesn't crossfire and SLI in itself generated way more heat then any of the GPU x2 single cards generate?
7. Is "Theoretical Shader Processing" basically tell a cards power?
8. Does anyone even care about synthetic benchmarks like 3dmark06 anymore? ATI seems to own Nvidia consistently when it comes to these, yet not necessarily in actual video game performance.

my 9800gtx definitely does not heat up at all idles around 40-45c depending on room temp and never goes above 55c during games . and if i'm correct a 9800gtx is better or equivalent to 8800gtx

the g92 is a very very cool chip my 8800gts 512mb idles @ 35c, and under load is @ 49 the highest never seen it go above that, winter is comign aroudn and its cold up here now so, that helps.

So I used to be in the know back in the day ( more then a year ago ) will and the jazz with the 8 series cards and how they compared to the lack of ATI equivalents and Nvidia was doing good in the high end market. Now everything has seemingly changed and I got just a little bit of spare time to get more up to date reading wikipedia articles ( don't hate its useful for quick information that offers sources and I just used it to see quick number facts and comparisons ) and some xbit labs articles and benchmarks: X-bit labs - Articles

Anyways heres a few questions that I came up with, sure I can find out the answers to them with more extensive research but I haven't got the time for that and I know some of you folks obsess over this stuff and know it off the top of your head, so heres my questions: ( appreciation offered in advance! )

1. The 9800 gtx2 seemed to do really well in all the performance charts yet xbit stated in a single sentence that it had problems and wasn't supported well, what did they mean exactly by this? Anyone wanna gimmie the scoop?

Well as in most Dual-GPU cards aren't supported by many games (and that also applies for SLI and CF)

2. For games that have problems with taking advantage of Crossfire ( say 2 4870s ), does that mean that the 4870 x2 ( the one where 2 GPUs are in 1 card ) will have these same problems or no?

Not necesarily, in most games that don't have CF support, it'd perform like 1 HD 4870, but the HD 4870X2 beats the HD 4870 CF, it there is a negligible drop, you can always disable CF

3. So what would be the best video card deal as of now for $200? $300? $400 $500+?
$200 - HD 4870
$300 - HD 4850 Crossfire
$400 - GTX 280 or HD 4850 CF
$500 - HD 4870X2

4. By how far is a GTX 260 better then a vanilla 9800 GTX? Or 9800 GTX+? Is the 9 gtx series cards that much better then a 8800 gtx?

There is a bit of a jump...
Pretty much 9800GT (matches it), 9800GTX(+) good bit faster...

5. Why are they still using that 65nm chips, does that still mean the heating problems that plagued the 8 series are still evident in the 9 series and 200 series? ( hate the way nvidia changed the names )

9800GT and 9800GTX+ use 55nm, rest don't but there aren't heating problems as far as I know

6. Does gigabyte offer many crossfire capable mobos? Also doesn't crossfire and SLI in itself generated way more heat then any of the GPU x2 single cards generate?

Check out their P45's P45-DQ3 or something or there are more affordable ones.. but the Biostar I45 truly has a place in my heart...

7. Is "Theoretical Shader Processing" basically tell a cards power?

no idea...

8. Does anyone even care about synthetic benchmarks like 3dmark06 anymore? ATI seems to own Nvidia consistently when it comes to these, yet not necessarily in actual video game performance.

Not anymore, Nvidia tweaked their drivers to do a bit better in Vantage because of their built in Physics

I put my answers next to your questions...

Thanks for the answers to my questions vernong but I'm still a bit unclear when it comes to question 2

Is a 4870x2 more compatible with games overall compared to 2 4870s in CF? Also what differentiates the GTX 260 and 280 ( 10 series ) from the 9 series?

the 4870x2 SHOULD have less issues then 2x 4870's in crossfire, but that is very game dependent. SLI is better supported, but crossfire scales much better.

the 9 series are based on the G92 core and its derivatives, which are based on a die shrink of the G80 core. these "G92" cards will be renamed ONCE MORE to GT1XX so do your research if you plan to get one.

The GT200 series are new cores with much more shaders, bigger bus width, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom