sleeping usb's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
My dad has a new PC using Vista, and has a printer connected via a USB cable, and a USB bluetooth dongle to connect his Nokia phone for synch'ing.
Both seem to goto sleep, and require re-establishing connection or PC re-boot.
Any ideas? I've heard USB ports can turn off when not in use.
Note that they have the box unchecked that says Allow the computer to turn off this device to save Power, on the Power Management tab.

Check the device manager and make sure there are no yellow exclamation marks next to the USB controllers. If there isn't, then try looking for updates for the drivers to the USBs.

Bluetooth syncing is usually done in intervals. Meaning that although your bluetooth may be enabled and never shut off, you'll have to reconnect the device(s) after the shared time has timed out. You'll have to go into the bluetooth connection settings, connect his phone and make the setting to allow connections all the time. Even then you may have to reconnect the device since it will be moving out of the bluetooth connection range probably every day.

As for the printer, check the printer settings/properties to see if it has a sleep mode enabled.

No exclamation marks.
I believe it to be linked to power manangemet settings of PC.
PC goes into standby, and bluetooth and printer fail to operate after waking out of this mode.....HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom