Upgrading gpu: HD4870, GTX280 or 260?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well if he is considerign gettign a 280 he might aswell spend the extra 30 up from a regular 260 and get the core 216, its aparently as fast as the gtx280 in games.

If the driver issues for the ati isn't all that bad and there is some drivers with no issues I will go that route due to cost. I don't understand the cost difference of the nvidias if the end result is a few fps.

well if he is considerign gettign a 280 he might aswell spend the extra 30 up from a regular 260 and get the core 216, its aparently as fast as the gtx280 in games.

Agreed, the core 216 is faster, and keeps getting faster with the latest driver releases.

GTX 260 216 oc'd with latest drivers ca match a GTX 280.

Get the 4870. You wont be disappointed. It is faster than the gtx260 and is cheaper than the gtx280. The only game where Nvidia has a clear advantage is crysis, other than that ATI cards are superior all around.

Get the 4870. You wont be disappointed. It is faster than the gtx260 and is cheaper than the gtx280. The only game where Nvidia has a clear advantage is crysis, other than that ATI cards are superior all around.

with the nvidia drivers haven given a 7% increase on average the gtx 260 is just about even now and the core 216 is as fast as the gtx280 so it will leave the 4870 not to far behind.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. This forum is much more helpful then any other one I have been on.

So it seems the 260 and the 4870 are priced some what even. Am I understanding that the 260 out performs the 4870 ever so slightly? Right now I am playing Crysis WH and I want to get the best performance on this game possible. Going forward I guess I need to know which one would be better for my current situation and obviously performance for things yet to come.

I might add that I am running out of room with my current case. My 3870 currently is touching my 3rd HDD so if this 260 is longer then it will not work. Unless I some how can alter where the HDD are. The 3rd HDD I have in there isn't even screwed down to the casing cuz I had to slide it forward because the gpu took up to much space.

the one philbar listed will perform as fast as the gtx 280 in games, dude to havign more stream proccesors. i also herd this one clocks farther, then the regular 260's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom