Should be Medium/High End Gaming Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sontommo

Solid State Member
Hey guys would you be able to tell me what you think, this as the title in my opinion should be a medium gaming rig? would you agree with this, has anyone got any feedback for me. i would love to hear as I'm close to ordering everything.

thanks a lot guys,

Sontommo

I would say that is actually more of a high end gaming rig. Just change the video card to something more recent like the HD 4870 and voila.

Hi,
Welcome to the forums I guess. Now to business...
As mentioned above this is a highish end system but you should change the graphics card. However there are a few other changes I would recommend:

(1) Change that motherboard fast! If you want to get the most potential out of that processor you should be willing to overclock. I know if you've never done it before it can be quite worrying but there are loads of great guys on the forum who would willingly help you out.
The G965 is very old at this stage. Instead consider the Gigabyte GA-P45-DS3R or Asus P5Q boards (P45 chipset boards are very good in general)

(2)The cooler is good but the Xigmatek S1283 or OCZ Vendetta II are better. Plus they're pretty quiet and good looking too

(3) Pay the little extra and get 4gb memory. You will see the benefits in your everyday computing AND gaming

(4) I'm no guru on sound cards and certainly no audiophile, but the built in sound on my mobo is pretty good. Trust in general are cheap equipment and I would say this will be unnecessary should you change your board

(5) Finally, do as SurgeVel said and change the graphics to HD4870

All of what I've said above are just pointers to allow you get the most out of equipment. Decide yourself what to do as its your money after all

Also try "www.ebuyer.co.uk"

bomber thanks a a lot, the reason that i decided to take on the challenge of building the computer was because one of my dads friends gave me this motherboard, hence why i has listed it, would using this motherboard hinder the performance a large amount? i don't plan to overclock the processor (as you said it scares me!) however, i am going to be overclocking RAM and the GFX card. about the RAM i could easily upgrade to 4GB without a problem

thanks for a warm welcome!

No bother,
Perhaps you could sell the motherboard on ebay (or fleabay, depends on your views). The overclocking would seriously boost this babys power like 40-50% in some cases, but you can't do it well on a 3 or 4 year old chipset. Its real easy (if you decide on getting the Gigabyte P45-DS3R I could talk you through it by PM)
And another thought just occured, does that board support the 45nm chips (i.e. You processor) Will get back to you shortly

Nope, that board will not work with that processor, says so on the intel site. Only ones that will are the e6xxx series like the e6700 or e6320. These themselves are outdated too so no point buying one just to allow you use an old board.
Look into how much its worth and try and flog it to someone somewhere

As poizen said about the P965, no it won't work.
That site you are using doesn't have it. But it does have the non-RAID version (the EP45-DS3, the E standing for energy saving, the R thats missing stands for RAID).

Assuming you don't use RAID you won't need it (I just get it because the price difference is very little)
Buy Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 Motherboard*GA-EP45-DS3 from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

This is the Ep45-ds3r on ebuyer with free delivery
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

The board you listed isn't bad but dear, plus you don't need the intergrated graphics with a cool HD4870 (The G45 chipset is what is in that board, G for graphics, P45 is the normal one)
Also, got my name changed! Woopee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom