Upgrading gpu: HD4870, GTX280 or 260?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I just got back into PC gaming about 4 months ago and only recently got more serious about it. The one mistake I made was when the guy that built it for me ask if I game very much I think I lied and said yeah some what. Wrong! I do all the time it was just more so on consoles. So he put in a HD 3870...

I want to sell it and purchase either a HD 4870 or the GTX280. After searching I am also considering the 260. I have read mixed reviews about both from all over. The obvious is you can't beat the price of the 4870 compared to the 280. Then I hear there is driver issues with the 4870. Is this true?

I do not want to have to spend the money for the 280 but if I need to then I will. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. That is why I am looking into the 280. On the other hand I shouldn't be spending that kind of money right now, but I will if I need to. :rolleyes:

Right now I am thinking 4870 since the price is right but I do NOT want to have any issues with it. On the other hand I don't think the price of the 280 is worth it for another 5fps if in fact there is no issues with the 4870.

Here is my setup. Keep in mind I am moving towards Vista now and want to focus on using that OS.

-dual boot XP Pro/Vista 32bit
-Quad Core 2.4GHz Q6600
-2 GB RAM (taking RAM upgrade suggestions)
-Foxconn mobo (M7VMX-K)
-HD 3870

I run dual monitors. One is a LG W2252TQ 22" LCD and the other one is my TV that I do all my gaming on. It's a Sony LCD 1080p TV KDL-46xbr3. I typically run that at 1680 x 1050. I plan to run higher if I can. Display settings state I can go up to 1900 x 1080...is that limited by my TV or by my gpu?

Well I hope that is all the information you need to help me. I know I am too new to sell things here but I am selling my Diamond HD 3870 for $120. It's 4 months old. My user name on ebay is chad711m (100% feedback).

I'm playing Crysis WH right now. I enjoy other FP shooters as well as racing games.

ive herd good things about the gtx260 core 216, i recomend picking one up, i herdt hey are as fas tas a gtx280 after a descent oc.,on duel monitors itl be fine. otherwise i recoment a 1gb hd4870.

Sorry I know this is a silly question but what is the difference between 512 and 1gb performance wise? When does this matter and why? Would there ever be a case where 512 ran just as good as 1gb?

Also I noticed there is many companies that make the GTX series and the HD 4870 series. Does it matter which one I buy from? The last time I bought a graphics card (7 years ago) I thought the only pick was ATI or Nvidia. Guess things have change since then huh?

as far as nvidia goes stick with evga or xfx, i used to love xfx but no longer have a preference between the 2, both have amazing customer support, and each there own features evga step up xfx double life time warranty. as for the 512mb itl hold its own in lower resolutions considerign your borderlien high wit h1080p i would recomend the 1gb as it will come in handy in the future, like for fall out 3, and farcry2.

Thank you for that. Sorry for so many questions!

What about this driver issue I have heard about with the 4870's? Is that true? If so what are the issues if you know.

Where to buy? Newegg still the best prices?

no real driver issues. you just need to use 8.5-8.7 and not 8.9, nothing major. although, the only thing i noticed between 8.5 and 8.9 was that crysis warhead didnt artifact. also, the only real reason for the 1gb currently is higher resolutions, 1920 x 1200 +...there is a difference then between the 512 and 1gb. 1gb may give you a little more headroom in the future if you plan on keeping the system for a few years.
evga or xfx for the 260. i prefer sapphire for ATI cards, some people like his and visiontek.
newegg is still the best.

[SIZE=-1]This is a term used to describe an image on the screen that should not otherwise be there - it could be a single green patch or a series of white dots, or just misaligned textures. Such faults are often caused by overclocking or software bugs.

thank you google define, itll usually be like dots of various colours or line joining objects, u get it if ur gpu overclock isnt stable. but anyway, i rec u got with a 4870, best value for price, sapphire is good, also HIS my friend is very happy with his.
[/SIZE]

I would stick with the normal 260 or a 4870 512. The 1gb 4870s dont seem to make any real difference in performance.

For nvidia cards, like said earlier, stick with evga or xfx AND REGISTER IT WITHIN 30 DAYS
For ati cards, i would suggest visiontek or powercolor. Sapphire and diamond would be brands to avoid, their support sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom