Computer fans *LOUDER* after a through cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast1917

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I just cleaned out my pc of all its dust with compressed air and isopropyl alcohol wipes. Its a coolermaster cosmos 1000 case and i used the alcohol wipes to wipe the dust off the fans, while loosening up dust with the can of compressed air etcetc, in all it was a really through cleanout.

But once I turned on the PC, the fans seem to be louder/spinning faster than before? It doesnt make a weird noise; (i.e. screeching, clunking...etc) its still smooth and constant, however it seems if its spinning faster.

Did I do something wrong? or am I just imagining things? I mean, I did a thorough clean, but I didnt unplug anything (even the fans).

Thanks all.

Well if they're spinning faster after you cleaned it...i'd say that'd be a good thing. If you got all of the dust off of them/out of the motor assembly, they would be able to move faster and move more air without as much weight of the dust on the blades (especially if dust was caked on).

gah; maybe i shouldnt have cleaned it out haha. ive tuned my ears to sleep with the level of noise the pc generated before, and now the slight increase has my ears twitching.

oh well, at least i didnt screw anything up, i was afraid i might have knocked a capacitor or fuse or whatever that might have caused excess power to be supplied to the fans (or something weird like that)

thanks all.

When dust gets in fans, the fans get clogged up and spin slower, producing less noise. When you clean it out, the fans are free and spin faster, making more noise but cooling much more efficiently. It's a good thing, if you want quiet, get different fans, turn your fans down using a fan controller, or move your PC elsewhere so you can sleep in peace and quiet.

lol man my pc is like a jet engine taking off, lol. 5 fans plus my 2 gts's and a heatsink, they sure make alot of noise, theres one good thing about it though, those fans equal faster fps.

my temps are around 41c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom