Antec 300 case project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it hard to cut out the side panel? I'm interested in modding a 300 myself

No, but do tape off the panel first like I did, so you don't scratch it!

Do you have a Jigsaw?, that would the best too for the job, instead of a Dremel for the initial starting hole, you could also use a drill instead for the Jigsaw blade starter hole, make the hole on the inside of the window design.

If you don't want you to mount your PSU upside down as Antec suggests, you should make a ventilation hole in the floor beneath your PSU intake cooling fan. Antec could have vented the chassis beneath the PSU, but they're cutting extras to save money and keep retail costs low.
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9j.jpg

Hole saws are used for cutting holes in acrylic and metal.

Heres the metric fan hole sizes in relation to available hole saw attachments

80mm = 3” hole saw
92mm = 3.5” hole saw
120mm = 4.5” hole saw

To use a hole saw, you need an Arbor for attaching the hole saw to your drill.

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9p.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9q.jpg

Instead of a hole saw, I prefer a Knock-out punch. These punches are expensive to purchase.Greenlee knockout punch and neccessary tools. this setup is 120mm holes, everything was just under $600 new
SilentSwing9dtool.jpg

I make a lot of fan holes for customers, so thats why I can justify owning the knockout punch. Otherwise a Hole saw attachment on a Power Drill will be fine

First, I tape off the bottom with 3M low tack masking tape
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9k.jpg

I'm positioning 92mm wire fan grill
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9m.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9n.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9o.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9r.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9s.jpg

oooo, so purdy lol.... I want to use one of those punches, but I couldn't possibly justify owning one, let alone spending $600 on it. I can barely justify getting the delux dremmel kit

THnaks for feedback guys! agree, the knockout punch is insane for costs.

I'm gonna make a new intake plate, but to do that, I've gotta alter some things, I'm keeping the lower 5.25 bay cover for support, and using DP-190 2 part epoxy to keep it in place permanently, you need to use gloves and smear the 2 part into the crevices (not shown)

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9i.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9h.jpg

A piece of 3/16" thick blue translucent acrylic will be provide a back plate support for a mod brothers 240 (2x 120mm fan) intake grill.

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9f.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9g.jpg

I love old school toggle on/off switches, I'll use this machined switch plate to trace out the holes
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9a.jpg

I use my drill press frequently for case modding
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9e.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9c.jpg

Just pre-fitting this standard toggle switch, I may use something else, maybe with leds
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9g.jpg

#10, x 5/8 stainless steel button head machine screws of mounting the switch plate
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9z9h.jpg

The Antec 300's perforated rear fan grill providea decent airflow, but I prefer using my own grills. You can use a Tin-snips to remove the outter portion of the perforated grill. I prefer a cleaner look, so I marked off an octagon border around the rear exhuast grill.

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9j.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9k.jpg

1.5" cutting wheel kicking up sparks!
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9m.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9l.jpg

Hand filing the edges
Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9m1.jpg

Antec_300_threehundred_casemod9m2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom