Specs for the new rig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
Hey, this is what I'm planning on buying very soon for my first 'gaming' rig, let me know what you think. Also, any obvious parts that I've missed out is because I already have them. :)

-CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
-Motherboard: Asus P5Q- Pro
-Graphics: 4850, 512mb (not sure on brand yet)
-Ram: 4gb (2x2Gb) OCZ Reaper's 1066Mhz
-CPU cooler: Thermaltake big typhoon
-Case: Thermaltake Armor mx (black)
-Power Supply: Thermaltake toughpower 600w
-Wireless PCI card: Dlink DWA-510
-Optical drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray combo
-Speaker: Logitech 2.1
-Video cable: dvi-hdmi
-HDD: Seagate 250Gb Sata 2 16mb

Just a question also...about the ram. I've heard some things about vista 64bit, about being non-compatable with some hardware and with some games etc.. Would it be a bad idea going with 4gb ram and seeing only 3.? in 32bit, or should I go with 2gb of ram? If I did get 4gb and ran a 32bit OS, will it still be running in dual channel?

Thanks, any opinions?

-Chris

i would get this psu, its awesome and its very inexpensive:
Corsair TX 750W ATX 12V Power Supply - CMPSU-750TX - Buy.com

also i would get a e8500 instead its a pretty small cost diff

get this cooler, it will perform better: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks w/ this bracket: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

i would get a diff hard drive, this one is one of the best on the market:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

also if u can afford it this mb is a lil better then the p5q pro: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards but if u cant the p5q pro is still good

edit:
oh and i would stick with the 64 bit all that stuff will work with vista. also just an fyi yes it would still run in dual channel w/ a 32 bit os

Windows 64bit from what I've heard is pretty much compatible with everything. Go for the 64bit and use all your ram. Plus if a few years from now you want to upgrade to 8gb of ram you won't need a new OS.

I second the corsair PSU.
It's few and far between that I run into compatability issues with vista 64. It's usually for older, obscure little programs that I don't care much about anyway.
Some old old games, like 10+ years. I can still run diablo 1 just fine, but not the original C&C or red alert. (although if you get the first decade you can play C&C and C&C RA that way)
Also the xig rifle is a fantastic cooler. I got it with the TRUE120 Bolt through kit and my e8400 overclocked to 3.7 idles at 24c load around 31-33.

the p5q pro is fine, keep it.

any seagate 7200.11 is a killer drive. that suggested WD is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom