Cunjo's Official Savage Upgrade Thread (opinions wanted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got it working and imaged... seems it wouldn't boot -at all- without hanging until I disabled Acronis startups in safemode... after that though, it turns out the conflict was with Avast! Antivirus and/or ZoneAlarm firewall. after uninstalling both, Acronis installed without a hitch and I was able to image.

As of right now, though, I can't boot after restoring the image... leading up to this was a bit of a hassle:

My original 500GB array looked something like this:
[__C:_(SYSTEM)__|______________E:_(DATA)____________]

I used ycopy to copy the E: partition directly onto the new 1.5TB HDD.
Then I used Acronis True Image Home to make an Image of the C: partition and MBR.
This seems to have been my first mistake, because excluding E: from the image meant I couldn't restore the entire disk as one operation.

After Imaging it and installing XP onto an IDE HDD (temporarily) along with the necessary RAID and SATA drivers and Partition Magic, I cleared and rebuilt the array and attempted to restore the image onto it. Here begins to the point of no-return, where anything before this point can't be un-done.

I used Acronis first to restore the C: drive and MBR separately, using the original (default) setting of a Logical Partition for C:, then expanding the 100GB C: partition to 250GB in the process, and leaving the rest of the 1TB array unpartitioned... then I used Partition Magic to add a 500GB partition for expendable data and a 100GB partition for data to be backed up, while leaving 100GB unpartitioned to install Vista X64 onto later. In the end it looked like this:
[__C:_(SYSTEM)__|UNALLOC|G:_(DATA)|_______E:_(DATA)_______]

I went into the BIOS and set it to boot to the array again, and I get just a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I booted back into XP and deleted the two Data partitions I had made in PartitionMagic and tried it again, same result.

I booted from the XP install disk and loaded the RAID drivers from a floppy, then went into the recovery console to run FIXMBR, same result.

Now I seem to be stuck... I can't boot to the restored C: drive.

I DO NOT WANT to re-install Windows on that drive, since I have 99 gigs of custom installed and configured programs which would need upwards of 100 hours of tweaking to get them all back to the way they were when I started.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or another way I can fix this, so I don't have to start all over again from the beginning?

just for a quick note on PSU's the 620HX would be fine.

I ran my gx2 on the 520, AND I ran my new 4870 X2 on the 520hx, before the 750 came in.

I got the 750, because it was cheaper than another 520 LOL.

just for a quick note on PSU's the 620HX would be fine.

I ran my gx2 on the 520, AND I ran my new 4870 X2 on the 520hx, before the 750 came in.

I got the 750, because it was cheaper than another 520 LOL.

Is overclocking and ramping the voltage on the processor going to have a significant effect on the power supply requirements?

also, got it to boot again, so I'm back on track, thanks.

well, with a particularily bad stroke of luck, I got a CMOS checksum error after unplugging the IDE HDD from the mainboard, and had to reset the BIOS.

Resetting the BIOS, apparently, DISSOLVED my RAID, making my computer unbootable again.

Additionally, the BIOS ceased to recognize the RAID capability, leaving me without the ability to rebuild and restore it.

less than an hour from packing it up and going home finished, and only a few hours until I don't have a choice and have to go home unfinished without the facilities to work on it, I'm at square 0.

PANIC MODE ENGAGE.

I hate RAID, I only use it in server environments. The redundancy and system support simply is not in place for consumer pc's. I recommend you just have a second hard drive where you back stuff up manually from now on.

Technically, that's what I've just done... I converted my RAID10 (striping/mirroring) to RAID0 (striping) to get twice the storage space and slightly better speed, and then installed a backup drive to replace the mirroring with nightly backups for data safety.

Good news is I got my BIOS working again, and the array was still there, just invisible... so I'm back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom