windows network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlsonas

Solid State Member
winndows network problem

hi everybody,
i have a 10-computer network (lan), 8 of them uses xp pro, one uses 98se and one uses w2k. we have an internet via router, we successfully use vypress chat and so on, but windows network sharing doesn't work.
this is what i have made:

1. installed internet protocols, needed by internet - 'Client for Microsoft Networks', 'File and 'Printer 'Sharing for 'Microsoft Networks' and 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'

2. updated windows from windowsupdate.microsoft.com to have the newest updates (i dont know if this is required, but anyway).

3. enabled guest account, and enabled blank passwords by going: start > control panel > Administrative tools > local security policy > security settings > local policies > security options > 'Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only' > disable > 'OK'

4. disabled integrated firewall

5. made the same workgroup name in all computers.

6. disabled simlpe file sharing

firstly i am trying to do that 2 computers would see each other. they have xp pro and no other firewall, exept integrated, whick is disabled.

but computers just do not see each other. what do i do wrong ?

nothing, i dont see anything in the my network places
btw, total commander stops responding when i enter Microsoft Windows Network ;/

Have you shared any folders on any of the computers? Sometimes another computer will not show up if there are not any shared resources on them. To share a folder, right click on it and click "Sharing and Security" and follow the prompts. Once it is shared, a "hand" will appear under the icon to let you know it is shared. You have to do this with printers as well if you want to share them.

Since you have disabled simple file sharing, you will have to have the user names setup on the computers that you want to have access to. For instance, if your user name is John on computer #1 and you want to access computer #2, you will have to setup a user account named John on computer #2 with whatever priveldges you want them to have.

Also, that Win98 computer will always have intermittent issues accessing things since Win98 was not designed to be on a peer-to-peer network that large.

hmz ..
1 - yes, now i have already tried to share a real file. computers still cant see each other.
2 - yes, i have crated a limited user ABC on both computers with password 123, and with this user loged on, network was not working.

by the way, when i enter in the command prompt with command net view, this is what it gives:
C:\net view
System error 6118 has occured.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently availbable.

btw2: sometimes, i repeat, sometimes one computer can see itself, but not always, now it can not browse into network (earlier sometimes it entered, but used to see only itself, not other computers)

any ideas ?

so I take it you cant ping these other computers, either? or browse via start/run then

\\computername\c$

how are they connected? via switch, parallel, etc... give the topology on your network.

ah, nver mind on the last part... saw router. what kind of router? does it need a config for it? is it set for link possibly? if its something like a large 24 port or some such make sure 1 and 24 is not used. is there a VLAN setup? sorry, just dont know how involved you network is so a little more detail pls ;)

ok ;]

1) modem_0 and modem_1 (cable modems)
2) router (modem_0 -> eth0 ; modem_1 -> eth2 ; lan -> eth1).router works with linux 2.4 and dinamically divides traffic (see below)
3) from eth1 -> swith_0 (lan begins)
4) swith_0
a) comp_0 (xp pro)
b) comp_1 (xp pro)
c) comp_2 (xp pro)
d) comp_3 (xp pro)

e) swith_1
e0) comp4 (xp pro)
e1) comp5 (xp pro)
e2) comp6 (w98se)
e3) comp7 (xp pro)

f) swith_2
f0) comp8 (w2k)
f1) comp9 (xp pro)

so as u see we have 10 computers on the network. ftp and p2p traffic goes vie eth0, anything else goes via eth2.

but i think nothing that i have said here is important, because the only important thing is that computers have fine ips and that all programs,connected with networking (vypress chat, q2 :) and so on) work properly, what makes me think this is only an operating system problem. moreover, i think computer's network sharing should work properly even when that network doesn't have an internet, so, in my opinion, router here takes no responsibility here.

im listening to you now :)
thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom