Computer upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elswyyr

Beta member
I've got my birthday in a few weeks, and I would like some new parts for my gaming rig. Trouble is, I don't know what parts I want! I'm not a very advanced user, but I know what the parts are called, what they're for ect.

Here's my current setup:
Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 2.4 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS
4 X 1gb RAM
Windows Vista Business 32-bit
320 GB harddisk, 16 mb cache
Intel DP965LT Mainboard

I hope you can help me!

Well due to the OS only being 32 bit, you actually aren't optimizing all of your ram just so you know. I've got a 8600 as well, and it's actually not that bad of a card, I run almost everything on max though my monitor sucks so I play on low resolution.

This being said, your gpu is still your weakest link I'd say. I'm not sure what you use your computer for, but if you game at all I'd recommend getting a new graphics card. Pretty much everyone here will recommend the hd 4850 or hd 4870 depending on resolution and your budget.

Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485F512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

$174, only 144 after mail in rebate.

Newegg.com - DIAMOND 4870PE5512OC Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

$269 someone else can probably find you a better or cheaper one somewhere but that's an idea for ya.

If you game 24/7 then go with one of Tresh's suggestions. But if you like folding, then the cards maroon posted will perform much better in folding. Also they will preform valiantly in games as well.

Just pick one, all of the cards will be a great upgrade.

It's a project by Stanford where computers and PS3's are being linked together to create a sort of super computer. They are using it to do medical research.

They don't create supercomputers.

Introduction

Folding@Home (F@H) is a distributed computing project designed to perform computationally intensive simulations of protein folding and other molecular dynamics. It was launched on October 1, 2000, and is currently managed by the Pande Group, within Stanford University's chemistry department, under the supervision of Professor Vijay Pande. Folding@Home is the most powerful distributed computing cluster in the world, according to Guinness, and one of the world's largest distributed computing projects. The goal of the project is "to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases."

They help us understand how protein are and be able to find cure for the major diseases. More information, you can find by using Google.

If you don't or can't leave your computer on most of the time like while sleeping/work then forget about folding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom