$1200 Build for friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
My friend has been wanting to get a new computer for a while and I talked him out of buying a gaming laptop (Laptops and games don't really go together very well) he will have about 1,200 to spend on a new computer including OS. I have put together a build I want you guys to check it but I was also wondering about core i7. Would $1,200 be enough to build a core i7 computer? I don't know much about then and the prices they will be when they come out but I don't think he will have enough.

Anyways here is the build I have put together:

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Mainboard: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Video card: Newegg.com - VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: Newegg.com - Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical drive: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

OS: Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

Heatsink: Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks With Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Total comes to $1,162.89

I saw another XIGMATEK 120MM rifle but it had 4 heatpipes, does anyone know if that one is better?

Thanks for the help.

Not according to this review.

Top 5 Intel & AMD Heatsinks on Frostytech

Also the Sunbeam does not need an retention bracket and comes with TX-2 so the total cost is lower.

It comes with it's own mounting system that doesn't use push pins.

I wouldn't trust that review. It claims the Thermalright Ultra is below that of both the Sunbeam and the Xigmatek. Unless it means the Thermalright without any fans. Still, from the reviews on NewEgg, the Sunbeam isn't always the best of quality, but I've never used it myself so I can't really say, I guess.

It doesn't use the push pins and has TX-2 included, and the MIR makes it $30, which I guess would be a great price for all that! Maybe I'll have to start using a new cooler :p

I also want to overclock his rig, and I was wondering if that would be good for an OC.

I don't know much about RAM but I hear that that RAM is good for overclocking, the motherboard is good, and the CPU is but is that a good modular power supply (like the one I posted above) for overclocking?

How do you guys think it will overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom