Getting the Itch Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
id get a single 4870 1gb for now. by the time you need to upgrade you can get another one on the cheap and a PSU to power them both. thats my plan, anyway.

ahem... nahalem will not cost a fortune to build...

lowest price nahelem will be 289 if i remember right....

and ram you'll just have to buy a 2 gig kit and a 1gb stick for triple channel ram... which even if it is ddr3 1066... will have far more bandwidth than anything that dual channel ddr2 can offer

the only big cost of it all will just be buying a mobo.. which will probably set you 200ish dollars

Is this going to be out before christmas? I guess I was getting confused with something else. Would you recommend that I just wait for nehelem? And that 2GB stick and 1GB stick of RAM you were mentioning; is that for a nehelem setup?

ya, nahelem will use triple channel, not dual channel... so you'd need 3 gigabytes instead of 2

and yes, 3 gig kits will be coming out, along w 6 gig kits (3x2gb)

and nahelem won't be out until about christmas or alittle after... i was just stating that its not that expensive

there is no problem with goig with a modern day quad

lower model nahalem don't have for sure overclocking numbers yet.. but they will still be beasts no doubt

My only concern would be how reliable the Nehelems and boards will be. People had a terrible time with the 680i boards when they came out two years ago. That was when I first built this rig.

I'm not sure if I should go nehelem or just stick with a tried-and-true x48/p45 setup. Its not like games are suddenly going to start demanding that much power, my e6600 is still fine and its been out for over 2 years. Plus when nehelems are out, I should be able to get LGA775-related stuff for cheap.

Changing the subject a little, Nos, how do you like those two 4850s? Do they run nicely for you?

that was nvidia's fault... they just made a terrible board until they revised it

boards such as the p35 and 975x were doing great.... if its an intel board... your good

but anyway.. the 4850's i love em, they get the job done, and they get it done well.. and for only about 300 dollars, its better than or on par w/ single gtx280.. so why not?!

the only game it doesnt really do justice in, is crysis... i mean i can still play on a modded very high in dx9 at 1920x1080 and still look smooth, but the 9800gx2 outperforms it by a very small margin because crysis loves nvidia

Interesting reads. I hope this comes out soon because I want to read some reviews. If the mobo is only going to run $250 then that is reasonable. Only bad thing is that I'll have to get a new cpu and HS right away along with DDR3 memory. This is getting to be alot more money than I want to spend. And lets still not rule out that once this stuff is released, the x48/p45 boards and Wolfdales should go way down in price.

So nosboost when you upgrade to nehelem this christmas to take the 3dmark06 record just sell me all of your current stuff lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom