Idling at 50-70%

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhydra866

Baseband Member
For some reason today, when i'm doing absolutely nothing with nearly all programs closed, my CPU idles with about 50-70% load. I've looked in Task Manager and it doesn't say anything is taking up an absurd amount of CPU load. It used to obviously stay around 1-5% when idle any time before this.

I tried restarting it and the problem still occurs.. and i've also looked in msconfig at my startup items and nothing seems particularly strange.

Okay, turns out that it was overheating. I'm not sure why though.

I'm blowing a fan directly into the case now and it's went down to its normal temperature. I'm still kinda curious how I can keep it like this?

Shut down the PC. Use a can of compressed air and clean the heat sink fins on the CPU.

After that make sure that the fan is fully fucntional as well. Any hesistation from it or anything can cause this issue as well.

He's not talking about temps Mak. It's his CPU load.

It could be anything from something in the registry to a virus making your computer idle at 50%. Start by posting a screenshot of the Logon page of Autoruns.

It was the temperature.. when I started blowing the fan into it it went back down pretty quickly.

Anyways I cleaned out the CPU fan with some compressed air and its looking better now. However Speedfan is saying Core0 and Core1 are still very hot?

5f0yzd.png

Don't use a percentage sign then ;). 50% and 50C are completely different in computers.

Do what Mak said then. The CPU fan looks like it's running a bit slow.

Also make sure the heatsink is properly seated on the CPU.

Don't use a percentage sign then ;). 50% and 50C are completely different in computers.

Well it was showing like around 50%-70% load in Task Manager and stuff.. but its still a heat related issue.

I'm not sure if you use Speedfan but how can I tell which fan is which? And could I just make my CPU fan faster from there?

Hmm, if you're running at 50-70% load, that will cause your temp to increase. BUT high temps won't cause your cpu to load up.

You need to scan your system. You got something running that shouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom