why is AMD as fast as INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, pretty much. But the 64 2800+ running at 1.8Ghz owns every Athlon XP processors.

very intriguing... But i'm very confused lol.

if it has lower clock speed, does that mean it has faster data transfer rate??

geo3tech said:
very intriguing... But i'm very confused lol.

if it has lower clock speed, does that mean it has faster data transfer rate??

Something like that. AMD needed a mainstream version of the Athlon 64 so they created the 64 2800+. Like all athlon 64, it has a built-in memory controller and relys on this rather than the one on the motherboard. This helps by increasing the communication speed between integrated circuits, thus increasing performance, and decreasing some lag.

I agree with BIG_AIZZLE cause my friend had a 2.8ghz prescott and it started to overheat with the stock fan, isnt the stock fan supposed to cool the cpu if it isnt overclocked? Right now i overclocked my amd2500+ Barton Core to a 3200+ and i still have my stock fan on and my temp is around 50-55 degrees celcius

@ geotech - i don't think you're able to view the instructions of each clock cycle.

@ wq87 - that is very much true. its very knowledgable that you remembered that.

@ overclocker - yes thats true depending on the conditions of course. nothing stock is always good.

I "was" going to get a Athlon 64 2800+. I even made a poll on it a long time ago between my current XP 3200+. So i took my time to read Athlon 64 reviews. I'm glad i didn't buy it... i mean, with all these new stuff out like s939 and PCI-E.

AMD seems to have one big "upper hand" in processor making:

Eventually, there will be a limit to processor clock speeds.
Eventually, the clocks will meet the speed electrons travel, and clock speeds will cease to raise.
- That is, unless we can come up with a way to use fibre optics (etc) in our processors and buses. (Which the only limit then would be, well, the speed of light) (!)

I beleive this is where AMD has a big advantage - they have found out how to keep their clock speeds low but still get that better performance out of the processor. So when we do hit the proverbial "Clock limit wall", we will have to make the architecture better,

CAR ANALOGIES!
- the Lotus Elise only has ~144 horsepower, yet it's 0-60 is about 4 seconds. Much better than any stock muscle car that has twice the horsepower. It has to do with how the car is built, and the way it gets the power to the ground - much more efficently.
In cars, the way they do it is better tires (kinda like a wider bus) and reducing weight (like a shorter bus).
When you look at the clock speed only, its like looking at the horsepower only, and not the rest of the car.
Semi-Trucks have over 550-600 horsepower, and gobs of torque, but as everyone knows theyre quite slow.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom