Hand me down computer parts (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saron

Beta member
I've wanted my own computer for a long time, due to the fact I can never get on the other two in my household. (My brother bought his own and my dad never gets off his MMORPG games), leaving me with no way to do my word processing/play games of my own).

So... this month I decided to take action and ask for some Second hand parts from friends =D.

Basically, it all went smoothly and I got some decent stuff.

My brother as I said just finished upgrading his own computer, and my dad had an 80 GB Hard-drive left over from his last upgrade 1 or 2 months ago.

Anyway... I'll list some of the stuff I got off of 3 or 4 friends:

80 GB 7200 RPM drive (have no clue if thats good or not)
Nvidia 6800 GT (bought it myself, my friend told me it was good)
Abit motherboard (I don't know the specs, but it's a Pentium 4 motherboard)
Corsair TwinX 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PRO (also bought by me, recommended by my brother)
AMD 64 3500+ S939 (given to me by my brother after he bought an AMD 64 FX-53)

Now, I know I need cables, but my only problem is, I dont know if all the components work together, and if not... I need some recommendations because my computer skills are as existant as the Loch Ness monster.

Thanks,

Chad

god DAMN thats some nice hand-me-downs!!!!

Thats better than my whole computer!!! lol.

Look, everything is fine except the motherboard. You arent gonna fit an AMD chip into a pentium 4 motherboard (and DONT use a hammer and a vice grip.....). There are some good AMD motherboards out there. For your setup you will probably be able to get a good one for about $150 (australian)

Thanks man =)

Hope I'm not asking too much, but I just remembered that i need a power supply and new case as well. It would also help if I got a specific motherboard, so I can buy ASAP (I'm getting cable installed in 9 days and I need a computer to get it set up).

I do have money issues right now though, so I can only spare $420. All I need now is my paycheck on the 2nd of September and then maybe I can afford to shop for food =P

Anyway... I can always drop by my grandparents house and get a free dinner. (Although it would be nice to have $20 left over so I can take my girl out).

Thanks,

Chad

hahaha. dont worry about food man!! just buy comp parts!!

well i can point you in the direction of some parts but im not sure about cost as im in aus and its different. give me about 20 mins and ill post some parts that would do you good

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
any of these motherboard would do you fine. Just pick the one with the cost that suits you and that has the features you would lik to have. If your 1 gig corsair has come in 2 lots (2x512) then you will want dual channel ram to make the most out of it.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1
hese are some nice cases that have high wattage PSU that should do you good.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=7&DEPA=1
here is the main search list for cases. search by PsU. i wouldnt go any less than 450 with your setup..

anyway hope this all helped. good luck building ur comp. post on here if u need any help :)

Thanks for the help,

I've phoned my bro, and he is comming over now to help me (he is coming during his lunch break).

I won't be able to post again today due to the fact it's my girl's 18th, so I'm taking her out for dinner and work starts at 12 pm sharp.

Since it's next day delivery, I'll probably be posting after it arrives.
(I don't have $70 to spend on professionals building my computer, so I'll need someone to help me put it all together).

Thanks,

Chad

You arent gonna fit an AMD chip into a pentium 4 motherboard (and DONT use a hammer and a vice grip.....).
LOL...ain't it da truth:D

But, MAN, I just spent like $730 on parts for my first comp (see sig), and they aren't even as good (well, maybe the Hard Drive).
*sniff* wish I had friends like that...:( lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom