Currupted/Broken Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lav01

Solid State Member
Hello, my computer keeps restarting after the windows loading screen is finished. I have tried safe mode but it restarts as well. I have also tried reformating using the windows xp install CD and it restarts after the drivers are finished loading or it freezes on the screen that says: "starting windows". My friend tested the memory and he said it was good. So I am thinking that my hard drive is dead? Am I right or could it be something else? Is there anything else I can do before I send my HD back to newegg? Thank you kindly for reading. :happy:

I don't think your hard drive is dead. Have you totally reformatted the hard drive prior to installation?

I was trying to reformat with the windows CD installation, but like I said on the main post it only loads the drivers and goes as far as "starting windows" before the computer restarts. Not sure if there is any other way of reformating other then using the windows xp cd to delete the old partition. Thank you for responding =)

Yes, if it is a bootable CD (which most are now) you set the bios to load from the CD first, then you'll get a blue screen for XP that walks you through everything. Loads the initial drivers, then you should have an option to delete the old partition, then create a new one using NTFS, then install on that new partition.

Are you getting that far then it says windows is installing? Do you take out the CD after installation?

I set the CD to boot first, Insert windows xp install disc, restart, CD loads, I get the light blue screen that shows the drivers loading at the bottom and it usually restarts maybe 5 mins after. I never get to the option that lets me delete my partition or reformat, before the computer restarts.

Anyone have any kind of advice?

It is either a dead hard drive or your system is overheating before it can continue on in the porcess of the install.

Ok I have an update, I ran a boot CD to test the memory and the Hard Drive. The hard drive passed. But a few minutes into the memory test my computer started to emit a "police siren" like sound. This sound has happened before and I remember fixing it by applying new thermal compound to the processor. My BIOS is pheonix award. When my friend did the memory test at his house he said he removed my ram and placed it into his pc and they passed. So I am no guessing that the processor is overheating for some reason. I removed the fan from the processor and it has plenty of thermal compound on and it is still sorta wet. What could be causing it to overheat?

Well from your post. The thermal compound on the CPU. That is crucial. IF it isnt applied right and the heatsink isnt mounted correctly you can cause it to overheat and also cut the life of your CPU down drasticaly.

I am checking bios right now and my temperatures seem to be too high.

CPU temperature: 56 C / 133 F
System temperature: 39 C / 102 F
PWM temperature: 47 C / 117 f
CPU fan speed: 2280 RPM

I am kinda puzzled, what is making it overheat so drastically. Mark thanks for your replies much appreciated. I am hoping that I didn't kill my cpu already ><

I would also like to add that when my PC made the siren noises in the past it was when I was running a game, it would take a while for the warning siren to start but maybe 3 mins after the siren the pc would shut off, I fixed that problem by applying the thermal. It worked well for many months until this started happening.

Another update: I actually moved my pc near my Air Conditioner and opened up the case to see if heat was really the problem. the temperatures all dropped at least 10 C. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. I am now running a full memory test for my self. Last test I tried sounded the heat siren and I aborted the test prematurely, my friend is telling me that the siren is probably for the ram though. I also lowered the fans target temperatures to their minimum.

I still think it is weird you can't get beyond the driver install of the CD installation. Do you have an extra hard drive that you can format and test to see if you are overheating your system or it is a bad hard drive.

I personally feel it is still something else, like mak said probably overheating. It is just really weird that you can't get past a certain part of the installation, and that windows XP starts to load BUT always cuts out at the same time. With a bad hard drive that is a weird occurance. Usually with bad hard drives they will either die completely and you can't load anything, or it dies randomly. To have it die consistantly in the same spot is an indication IMO that it is a heating issue.

I would take apart the cpu, clean the old compound and place some new stuff on there. REmember you just need to use a SMALL amount of thermal paste. Ensure your heatsink is snug on the CPU. Get a large fan and turn it on high, take the sides off your computer and let the fan blow on everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom