Minimum GPU to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
It not completely cut and dry. i like to use dedicated graphics wherever possible but newer IGPs can and do smoke older dedicated cards. A good example is when I upgraded to an Athlon 64 3400+. The Geforce 6600 had not come in yet so I used the integrated graphics, (sis mirgae 2 or something), and it showed a marked improvement over my previous machine in gaming which had an ATI Rage 128 pro.

A more modern example would be the HD 3300 beating a radeon 9600, of geforce FX 5700.

But any Modern dedicated card will beat any Modern IGP.

Wow, it sounds like AMD have a lead, well maybe not in CPU speeds or performance at the moment, but definitely with integrated graphics, I will have to check them out for my own curiosity! One thing is indisputible, that modern integrated graphics are better than legacy, dedicated GPUs, that is to be expected, but by how big a margin is quite revealing. Of course, i'm not planning on using integrated forever, I am seeking a new GPU with modest power requirements and half-descent performance, but it gets me by, just enough for now, lol.

Integrated graphics never match up to a separate card. They don't have dedicated graphics memory, so it really doesn't do much. And yes, the HD 4670 looks like a sick card for the price. From benchmarks I've seen, It destroys the 8600GTS, and keeps up with the 9600GSO sometimes as well. I'm picking one up this week to replace my 8600GT.

Wow, your admiration for this GPU is making me take notice. Heck, if it can slaughter the 8600GTS and trade blows with 8800GS/9600GSO then I am more than satisfied, as that is the medium range of graphics power I require. Will check out some benchmarks to see for myself. Is it a new card? I have noticed that not many PC shops in Australia are selling it yet? Have seen it online though. I guess it just isn't a mainstream card maybe. The lowest I have found it for is through an online e-tailer for around $140 AUS. Well, at that price, it would sure have to be good as it costs more than an 9600GT and almost as much as an 8800/9800GT! One thing I hate is that everything is cheaper in the US, how I envy you Americans! HAHAHA::laughing:

Dude don't double post. We have an edit button for a reason. But yes the 4670 is a good midrange card. We have some aussie tech forums members, I'm sure they could tell you were to go.

No, I was not double posting. I was replying to two seperate posts in this thread. :D

Dude don't double post. We have an edit button for a reason. But yes the 4670 is a good midrange card. We have some aussie tech forums members, I'm sure they could tell you were to go.

That is a doubt post. Just hit edit and reply to both in the same post. Having two consecutive posts by the same user, regardless if they are different is bad netiquitte.

Wow, your admiration for this GPU is making me take notice. Heck, if it can slaughter the 8600GTS and trade blows with 8800GS/9600GSO then I am more than satisfied, as that is the medium range of graphics power I require. Will check out some benchmarks to see for myself. Is it a new card? I have noticed that not many PC shops in Australia are selling it yet? Have seen it online though. I guess it just isn't a mainstream card maybe. The lowest I have found it for is through an online e-tailer for around $140 AUS. Well, at that price, it would sure have to be good as it costs more than an 9600GT and almost as much as an 8800/9800GT! One thing I hate is that everything is cheaper in the US, how I envy you Americans! HAHAHA::laughing:

It's one of the newest cards on the market, possibly the newest. I think it just came out a few weeks ago. There's about 5 available on newegg, and boy are they selling. I just ordered one with a few other things for my birthday present from my parents, so I should get it by next Monday or Tuesday. In the mean time, I'll play the games I have on highest settings at 1280x1024 resolution, record the FPS, and then do the same with the new card, then do it again after overclocking the new card, to see the difference for myself. :)

And yes, America rocks. Our stuff is cheaper even though our country is getting poorer by the day :D

Hey guys, just an update. I decided not to risk blowing up my PSU or potentially damaging my system by purchasing a card with very lower power consumption. Although an older card, the 7600GT only uses 36 watts of power max, so its very power efficient, and i got it really cheap for like $35, like new condition. It is pretty much an 8600GT without DX10, which I am not using anyway because I am still on 32bit XP and most of DX titles have been underwhelming. I will just use this for like 1-2 years on med-low settings for most newer games I have, and when DX11 is finally here I will get a massive upgrade on my PSU and GPU. There just doesn't seem to be that many DX10 titles after almost 1.5-2 years or so after it was released and already it appears as if it is being overshadowed by its successor, DX11. So much for longevity in the computing world, thats why I will wait for a fully compatible DX11 card so my hardware won't be obsolete like 12 months later.

I decided not to risk blowing up my PSU or potentially damaging my system by purchasing a card with very lower power consumption.

It dosen't work that way, but the deed has been done. If you purchase a card that sucks too much power your system will be unstable but the damage is not permanent.

It dosen't work that way, but the deed has been done. If you purchase a card that sucks too much power your system will be unstable but the damage is not permanent.

Yeah, my grammar sucks though, if you re-read that line it as if i am saying if i buy a card too low on consumption it will damage my system, forgot a comma i think?:eek:

My cuz has the same computer as mine, we bought round the same time from same vendor but hes got a 9600GSO running on a generic 400W 12V 18 amp PSU. It is running very stable and without incident but i still dont wanna risk it you know, it the voltage goes under i heard it can cause some major damage, despite what you believe. Also, its still a new system, couple of months old, who knows how long it will last? This system has to last me a few years atleast, but i will likely get a GPU upgrade when DX11 is introduced, along with a new PSU. I am still playing alot of older games and can hold off as long as possible, even a 7600GT will get me by on modest resolution and settings.

DX11? Give it about 6 months before rumors come out. Then probably like a year before cards actually SUPPORT DX11. Even then, it will take like another 6 months before those cards are some what affordable.

By the time you are able to get a DX11 card at a reasonable price. By then rumors of DX12 will already be circulating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom