Intel E8400 vs. Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to think either you had something wrong with your qx if your dual core running slower is better than a quad core running faster.

You can have my q6600 when you pry it from my cold dead hands. Or when i upgrade to i7. :)

i either stick with air and upgrade cpu or water cool the heck out of my cpu. even with water you only leave yoru hcip at 3.6 veed?

Considering that its 79f inside and about 60f outside, yes, i keep the cpu at 3.6. Once the snow starts falling and i have problems keeping it warm in the apt, i'll ramp it up. But its already hard enough to keep it cool in my apt.

Personally, I've had mucho quads...and now I'm back to dualies because they just seem faster for basically everything except encoding and rendering.

4.5gHz 45nm dualie owns all :)

Also despite what many people may think, my dualie actually handles Solidworks and CAD better than my quad setups did (except the 4.2ghz QX9650, but that was too expensive to keep).

I still want a quad, but only a 45nm E0 stepping which I won't be able to afford for awhile. Anything under 4.1-4.2ghz will leave me sorely disappointed.

I'm very indecisive.

Uses for the build are AutoCAD, Games, video watching and a bit of photoshop and premiere here and there.

I like the idea of having four cores, but i dont see any immediate uses for it. By the time i do find uses for it, prices on quads will have dropped and more games will take advantage of them - i could upgrade. That would mean i should buy a mobo compatible with dual and quad i suppose... (I think that will be the Asus P5K Pro).

Does this sound like a good approach?

Obviously it's all personal opinions...

Yeah I agree with zedman. you can either get a dual now and a quad later, and end up paying more in the long run... or just get a quad now and be done with it.
Like I said I don't run CAD or anything. Just some serious gaming and the occational video work, both of which a dual core will tear through.

Basically if you're already planning on upgrading to a quad, why add an extra step and get a dual first.

Right. Im sick of pondering - i'll be happy with either and i think i can get the q6600 cheaper.

So im going with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom