My Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I just bought these parts online, but I'd like to share what choices I made. Some of these parts I already had, such as the 250gb hard drives and the case.

Antec 650w PSU
PNY GeForce 9600GT 512mb 256bit PCIEx16 2.0 GFX
G.Skill 4gb 2x2 DDR2 800 RAM
ASUS P43 LGA 775 Mobo
Intel Q8200 Quad Core 45nm 2.33ghz CPU
Seagate 500gb SATA (two)

Also in my system that I previously had:

WD 250gb SATA (two)
Turtle Beach Montego 7.1 24bit PCI Sound Card
HP DVDRW
Sony DVDRom

So, in the end, what I spent on parts originally that I've been running for a few months now + what I just bought, my total system cost comes out to about 900 bucks...

4 Core Intel CPU
4 gig of RAM
4 HDD's @ 1.5TB total storage
Decent graphics card, sound card, etc.

weeee

What's with people and the huge HDD? I'm on a shared computer right now, and probably use like 40gb of space. :p

What's with people and the huge HDD? I'm on a shared computer right now, and probably use like 40gb of space. :p

I have about 6 computers in the house, belonging to myself, parents, brothers, etc. We're all on 1 big LAN, and more times than I can count somebody's computer crashed... losing pictures and music and all kinds of school/work projects and on and on.

I ended up doing a bit of research and figured out how to rsync stuff in Ubuntu, which is my primary OS. I also found out how to run a samba network sharing server, which is unusually easy to set up once you get the hang of it. The network shares in Ubuntu are mapped via network drives in my computer in windows XP. So it's pretty easy to back stuff up. CTRL C, CTRL V. Done.

Using this, I utilize the use of 4 hard drives.

500gb - A - my main drive I work off of with XP and Ubuntu.
500gb - B - my secondary drive, which gets all of my data rsync (copied) to for redundancy.
250gb - C - main network share drive. This drive houses everybody's documents, pictures, music, etc they want backed up. It's secured by passwords, so their stuff is safe from one another (meaning mom can't snoop friday night's pictures), etc.
250gb - D - rsynced copy of drive C for redundancy.

So basically, I set up my computer as a SAN and I run a manual mirror script known as rsync. Make sense?

Most people don't need huge hard drives unless they're doing video editing or talking to Uncle Torrence a lot.

Most people don't need huge hard drives unless they're doing video editing or talking to Uncle Torrence a lot.

haha a pedophile joke. It pays to get a huge hard drive I guess. With all the games I have installed on my pc I barely have any room left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom