DVD burner = CD/DVD reader/burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the cable speed is invalidated as the components can't run that quickly maybe with flash memory we will push the Sata speed but not with standard mechanical components. The cable size isn't that much different just get a knife and make the cable rounded with some tape easily done and good for those optical drives

the SATA harddrives performs 10-15% faster than PATA harddirves because of Native Command Queing the PATA doesnt have.

Okay... so the answer to my question before we all got a bit side tracked was

Yes, a dvd burner will also read dvd/cd

and yes a dvd burner burns cds.

correct?

the SATA harddrives performs 10-15% faster than PATA harddirves because of Native Command Queing the PATA doesnt have.

sure does. Ever since i switched out my old DVD drive with a SATA one, i was able to reinstall Vista so much faster and my system was OCed both times with the IDE DVD drive and SATA DVD drive. Took about 45 minutes to install Vista with IDE, 30 minutes with SATA. Of course, Vista dont like OCed systems when installing the OS, my fault for not understanding for the past 6 months :p.

as for the answer of this thread, it should be. Why would it not? That is like defeating the purpose of having a DVD drive not read and write CDs.

Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Anyone can write anything on there if they wanted.

Anyone who says that does not understand Wikipedia. It has been proven several times independently that it is more reliable and up to date than the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Also there is a huge performance difference between SATA and and Ide. first thing is SATA is a physical form factor and a data protocol. Ide is a physical form factor. When people refer to Ide they tend to mean PATA. Or Parallel ata. Sata is Serial ata.

The biggest problem with Sata is that many things like hard drives aren't fast enough alone to take full advantage of Sata, so there is very little performance increase. You really only see SATA shine when you have many drives hooked up.

Another thing is Ide is being forced out of the market. P35 and p45 motherboards have some compatibility issues with Ide drives.

When it comes down to it yo really should jsut get SATA. They will have to totally give up Ide sooner or later and cd drives aren't something you want to have to continually buy.

sata = better than pata, known fact.

my sata drives read/burn much faster than any pata drives ive ever owned/used.

i must have interpreted what someone told me wrong, i remember ages ago on Tf i asked about this (i think TF) and people told me no, must have just been saying that ide hdds/opticals dont have more performance over sata2 one, not the actual cable. i do know that not even ide hdd's max out their bandwith though.

Possibly me baron as I am an old hand, personally I don't believe it makes a difference generally PATA are older in design so have less technologies then there SATA counterparts which may make a slight difference but I don't think its down to the cable choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom