External HDD not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigm@tic

In Runtime
I bought an external HDD last year and the case broke, I just replaced it yesterday and booted it up fine, reformatted the drive, unplugged it but today it's not really being detected.

I plug the external drive in, takes about 10 secs for the comp to detect a usb device, then i open 'My Computer' but the drive icon is not showing... So, I went into hardware device manager and under disk drives it's listed as USB Device. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from Device Manager but it made no difference, I tried another usb port and got the same result.. it's being detected as a usb device but not exactly a HDD so I cannot access it.

What gives here? I was able to access it before but now I cannot...

Yeah it comes up under disk manager as usb device under drives but its unreadable now...

you think it could be the enclosure? I bought it cheap off ebay from hong kong..

Ok .. I left it plugged in and turned on when I rebooted it was detected as normal and fully functional. But if I try to safely remove it I get Delayed Write Failed popup and unable to save data for G:\$Mft

Please edit your post do not double post.

It sounds like it is the enclosure. That write failure error means that the device is losing contact with the computer. It could just be caused by a loose wire or it could be an enclosure fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom