Trying to build a new computer but have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzzidReign

Beta member
I've tried looking through all the stickies and they all seem to have older information...

So I got an email the other day from newegg about all their specials they have going on and saw that I could get quite a few parts for really cheap but I want to see if they are compatible or if someone has a recommendation for something that is in the same price range but better.

The prices I've listed below is what it will come out to be after the promo codes are entered and after the mail-in-rebates.

Case - $49.99 with free shipping

Not sure which to go with but I'm thinking the core 2 quad wouldn't be compatible, which is why I wanted to see if it was before I go buying it:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W - $165
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 - $190

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - $100

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel - $70

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 - $100
--Not sure if that's a good card to go with or not...I think I read somewhere that the 8800GTS was better for about the same price?

The total I believe is around $450-500 in the end (depending on what processor I go with and gfx card).

I already have keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, PSU, hdd & dvd burner.

Thanks in advance!

The Q6600 is compatible with that motherboard, as is the E8400. (they are both LGA 775)

Don't forget a hard drive... you didn't mention if you were going to buy one.

Do you need a PSU and HDD or have you got them? It looks pretty good otherwise. Now the Q6600 vs E8400 - the E8400 will probably do better in games, and overclock more. But if you do anything else that will use alot of cores get the Q6600 (eg. rendering, video editing, music etc.).

The Q6600 is compatible with that motherboard, as is the E8400. (they are both LGA 775)

Don't forget a hard drive... you didn't mention if you were going to buy one.

Um, was there a question in there?? And are you just advertising hosting??

Back to the original post...

Do you need a PSU and HDD or have you got them? It looks pretty good otherwise. Now the Q6600 vs E8400 - the E8400 will probably do better in games, and overclock more. But if you do anything else that will use alot of cores get the Q6600 (eg. rendering, video editing, music etc.).

Yeah, sorry I don't know how I forgot to mention I have a hdd. I'm just upgrading my older system so I have all those parts I've listed above (just added the hdd in).

So the ram should work? B/c I saw someone mention that the speed should be compatible with your motherboard and your processor. That was my main concern.

And thank you meat_helmet, I didn't know quads were more for the rendering and video editing where the dual core is good for gaming. That will save me about 30 bucks :)

I appreciate the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom