Q6600 Overclock has become unstable over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
Recently my Q6600 has been crashing under heavy stress (games). Is it possible that over time the overclock has somewhat damaged hardware? Maybe the motherboard or cpu?

I've been running 3.40ghz (425x8) @ 1.29vcore.

Now if I run prime95 with these same settings it locks up instantly. Raising the vcore to 1.31 fixes it, but creates some pretty high temps, sometimes as high as 75C while running prime95 blend test.

Thoughts?

sounds like u just need to up ur voltage. to get temp down some try gettin a better fan for ur cooler. it also might be ur mb voltages. also if it goes over 70 turn prime 95 off, that might be causing ur cpu to get damaged by letting it go over 70

q6600's can withstand heat up to 80C so i wouldnt be too worried about it being in the 70's for a short period of prime95.

if your temps dont exceed 60 whilst gaming then dont worrie, prime will send the temps high.

Its possible that the chip is just wearing in, or the board could have issues. The q6600 is rated up to 1.5v, so unless you are running past that daily, i highly doubt you have hurt the cpu. My guess would be the memory or board moreso than the cpu. I see you are running balistix. They are somewhat known for going bad due to the amount of voltage they want to be run at. How much voltage are you using on the memory ?

Its possible that the chip is just wearing in, or the board could have issues. The q6600 is rated up to 1.5v, so unless you are running past that daily, i highly doubt you have hurt the cpu. My guess would be the memory or board moreso than the cpu. I see you are running balistix. They are somewhat known for going bad due to the amount of voltage they want to be run at. How much voltage are you using on the memory ?

I'm running the ballistix at 2.2v as per their suggested voltage.

The computer just froze while I was typing this. No stress whatsoever.

I ran Prime95 last night for over an hour with no crash.

Should I run memtest?

Ram @ 1066 w/ 2.2v failed memtest horribly.

Clocking the ram at default 800mhz with whatever "auto" voltage is passed 6 hours of memtest with 0 errors.

Looks like I either need new ram or just have to run at stock speeds :(

I may try 800mhz w/ 4-4-4-12 timings later

Right now it's running 800mhz w/ 5-5-5-18

Ram @ 1066 w/ 2.2v failed memtest horribly.

Clocking the ram at default 800mhz with whatever "auto" voltage is passed 6 hours of memtest with 0 errors.

Looks like I either need new ram or just have to run at stock speeds :(

I may try 800mhz w/ 4-4-4-12 timings later

Right now it's running 800mhz w/ 5-5-5-18

Okay okay not a huge deal, there's no tremendous difference between 800 and 1000 mhz. You should just be glad that it wasn't anything more serious.

Okay okay not a huge deal, there's no tremendous difference between 800 and 1000 mhz. You should just be glad that it wasn't anything more serious.

Yeah, the CPU isn't overclocking as well as it did previously. I just ran a quick 30m Prime95 test @

400x8=3.2ghz @ 1.25v

800mhz ram @ 5-5-5-18

No errors, highest temp is 63 on Core0, lowest is 60 on Core2

Not too bad I guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom