first time building on low budget...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnelson8611

Baseband Member
I want to build a computer just for the fun of it.
I have an old Win 98 computer that has a virus on the HD... but I was wondering if I were to clear out the case, could I use the case for my new build?? Is it a good idea to- considering my low budget??
Also, I found some newer hardware in it and was wanting to include those items.
The only problem is that this case is hard to open and it smells like smoke...

How old is your computer? If you are still running Windows 98, there is a chance you could still have an AT style case. If that is so, you would not be able to use a modern power supply or motherboard with it.

I am just thinking about building now so I haven't gotten the prices down on everything yet. My budget is so low that I would be working for a year or more on it before it would be finished! I didn't even think about the compatibility of the case with newer hardware! I want to use my computer for media purposes-- music, video, ect...
What should I use that case for then?? I was speaking to someone I know and he said I should use it for some type of networking purpose... I don't quite remember what he said.

ok, this is my opinion. amd are cheaper than intel, and better for gaming if ever ur gona do some. As for the case, u can find nice cheap ones that will satisfy ur needs. If u gona buy it in 1 year, there are gona be many more products, and cheper prices for the current ones. u can also look for a barebone pc, and buy the extra crap u need.

u could use the case, uhh the pc as a server, but i dont think ul need that... just let it drop, sell it if u can, i dunno

The PC I am using now is fine... was just wondering if I could use the old case for something. Maybe I will just trash it... save the newer hardware first before I dump the thing!!
Pretty much the only hardware worth saving is an ethernet card that is somewhat new.
Could continue to update and modify the PC I have now.

no, save ur money, cuz u can make good upgrades with ur pc now.
U can wait. just save up that cash, then once u get enough, get the basic parts, then u can add more later

if u like ur case and evrything fits ok then sure keep it, its basicly a box so u could make it into wutever u want, fishtank would be sweet with side windows and ccfls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom