SLI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
I fianally broke down, paid the $45 RMA fee to MSI and sent back my dead 7900 GTX. In return, they are sending me a MSI 8800 GTS.

Now I have a 8800 GT right now, and I was thinking since I'll have another 8800, I could run SLI. The sad fact is I *think* (verify) that a GT and GTS can't be run in SLI together, they would have to send me a GT.

Would it be any benefit to running SLI if I got the GT instead? I was planning on selling it on Ebay and making a little bit of cash.

What should I do? ebay it? :)

from my research i've discovered that you can not run SLI with GTS and GT if the chipsets are different. i believe they are different, G80 and G92 respectively. I would SLI the GTS' over the GT's but that means you would have to get another GTS.

So wait, doesn't a GT outperform a GTS? I'm confused with all this GT GTX GS BS. :p

No you cant SLI them. But the GTS (assuming it is the 512mb version) is a fair bit better than the GT. It goes like this:

GTS 512mb > GT 512mb > GTS 640mb > GTS 320mb

Yes, its confusing. The GTS 512 is probably about 20% better than the GT, so if you can get another GT instead and SLI that you probably going to get maybe 40% better performance - average. If you can sell the other GT and get 2xGTS that would be best, but otherwise go with the 2xGTs.

That make sense?

EDIT: Oh and if your wondering why the GTS 512mb is better - its because its a newer version with a die shrink.

No you cant SLI them. But the GTS (assuming it is the 512mb version) is a fair bit better than the GT. It goes like this:

GTS 512mb > GT 512mb > GTS 640mb > GTS 320mb

Yes, its confusing. The GTS 512 is probably about 20% better than the GT, so if you can get another GT instead and SLI that you probably going to get maybe 40% better performance - average. If you can sell the other GT and get 2xGTS that would be best, but otherwise go with the 2xGTs.

That make sense?

EDIT: Oh and if your wondering why the GTS 512mb is better - its because its a newer version with a die shrink.

+1 on that response, I agree completely.

The rule of thumb (meaning it's also dependent occasionally on the card) with NVidia cards is:

Ultra>GTX>GTS>GT>GS

Except this generation of Nvidias makes it:

Ultra>GX2>GTX+>GTX>GTS>GT>GS>GSO
(I think...correct me if im wrong).

+1 on that response, I agree completely.

The rule of thumb (meaning it's also dependent occasionally on the card) with NVidia cards is:

Ultra>GTX>GTS>GT>GS

Except this generation of Nvidias makes it:

Ultra>GX2>GTX+>GTX>GTS>GT>GS>GSO
(I think...correct me if im wrong).

A GX2 ending is better than an Ultra ending but apart from that its right.
GX2 typically means GTX SLI.

Wow, interesting ;)

The MSI 7900 GTX died within a year. I'm not trusting another MSI product, so I think I'll stick with my EVGA 8800 GT ;) It runs everything I need perfect ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom