Need help with a new compy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so the biostar mobo, and all thats good?I just browsed the LCD and well I know less about them then anything, I am still on an CRT from Gateway from back in 90's lol. "LCD" is completely new to me. I read about responce time, ghosting and the whole fight on 1000/5000 contrast ratios and well i just picked something nice looking, decent sized and low responce times, if anyone can suggest LCDs that'd be nice.. I don't wanna get stuck with a ton of dead pixels by some brand no one trusts or something.

not to be a biotch or anything.. but besides the OC with the mobo you suggested, are there any differences? after mail in rebate on the Asus, and including the S&H of the Biostar, they are gonna be about the same price. The Asus had some extra features on it listed that seemed like they would be energy savers and longer-lasting EPU-6 Engine ~ System Level Energy Saving, and 100% Japan-made Solid Capacitor ~ Best Quality, with the Express Gate ~ 5 Secs from Bootup to Online!

Go with which ever one, it will probably make little difference to you.

One of the two PCIEx16 2.0 slots runs at 8x while both slots are full x16 on the Biostar but that makes little to no difference.

Many members on TF seem to be of the educated opinion that the 8x Pcie issue is a non-issue unless you are putting 4870X2's together. I tend to agree with this assertion. The Pcie slots are v2.0 so they are double the bandwidth of Pcie 1.0. So an 8x slot on the Biostar = a 16x slot on an older board. This should be sufficient for most configurations. Not only that but I am of the belief that the OC abilities of those boards outweigh that shortcoming anyways.

Ok now Iam confused lol.

So lets fast=forward to the future where i have 8GB RAM and getting my second 4870 video card.. which motherboard would support the 2x4870 cards better?

The Biostar will do fine. You don't get two full 16x Pcie slots unless you get an x38 or x48 and they are much more expensive. The performance difference is negligible for the price.

Stick with the P45, you'll be fine. It can handle two 4870s fine.

and with the GPU in mind, and PSU - does the PSU intake from the rear, or pull air in from the case and vent it out the rear? set up of the PSU makes it where the GPU will be blowing down toward it.. if it vents upward toward the GPU.. theres going to be a hot spot of air from them both blowing "In" to the computer, and the exhaust vent is ABOVE where the GPU is.. so that won't help much if the hot spot is formed... cuz it would have to suck the hot air past the GPU again to get it out of the case... and well that seems in-effective, defeating the purpose of the GPU's cooler in the first place.

Both cause problems in my head.. but I don't know how they really work...

If the PSU vents out the rear, it means it would pull hot air from the computer in to it, to cool it, then vent it out..

if the PSU intakes from the rear, it would have a cool source of air to keep itself cooled...but then it would be venting inside the computer.. making everything else hot...

PSUs have exhaust fans to the back. They are designed with the expectation that the plug is facing the rear.

Trust me, the idea of putting the psu on the bottom is a good one. Puddle Jumper said it himself, he owns the case, just switching to that configuration improved temps by several degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom