The Official Zmatt mega OC experiment v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
Ok, so I found out something today that may have just revived my cray p4 on a p45 idea.
They apparently made a cedar mill based Celery. They have the highest Multi's I have ever seen. Higher than P4, higher than Nehalem. I even found one on eBay for a very reasonable price. I would have already bought it, if it wasn't for the fact that I haven't changed my mailing address to my new dorm and Pay Pal is down for maintenance, so I can't.

The Celery in question can be found here:
INTEL CELERON D 356 3.33G/512K/533 CPU PROCESSOR SL96N - eBay (item 370091593953 end time Oct-06-08 14:58:16 PDT)

Has a 25x, read it, 25x multi. That is theoretical 7.5ghz at 300mhz fsb. Anyone else geeking out yet?

I do have a question. Does anyone know if P45's and more specifically my Biostar TP45 will work with such an old chip? I haven't seen any explicit writing that says it won't, but I haven't seen any that says it does. My mobo manual says nothing on the topic. Hearsay is great, but I would really like to know if anyone has a documented case of it working.

Nosboost, do you have an old p4 that you can pop in and find out?

Anyways, this is my plan.
Use my current mobo and ram. I have PC2 8800 so I doubt I will run anywhere close to the limit of my memory. I know my Biostar can go much farther than a 25x multi warrants. For now, until I get a modified HSF to take DICE or LN2 I will use a lapped sunbeam (once I buy one ;) ) And dual Scythe Ultra Kazes blowing across the mobo.

I really don't think the Kazes are needed, as the weak link here is the chip. We are realistically looking at fsbs of 350mhz MAX, so I have no fear for stressing anything but a $20 cpu. If it fails, it fails.

So, thoughts? Opinions? Wisdom? (worldly, other worldly or otherwise), criticisms?

I know this sounds kind of nuts, but I can't see why anyone else hasn't done it.

Its not for performance, I'm going for raw GHZ. I know a 2ghz Conroe could smash an 8ghz P4 or whatever crazy OC you can come up with. That's not my point. I dunno, maybe I can turn the frequency so high that I rip a hole in the space time continuum, before CERN does :p

And. veedub, perhaps you could give me more info on this cooler of yours? Never heard of a TRUE. I just know that some members have gotten better cooling with this new sunbeam than with Xigmateks, which says a lot in my book.

Thanks man. I just want to be certain the thing works in a P45.

Nice find Rican, that's actually the same model Celery I was looking at. Looks like the got it to 5ghz on air with 50c temps. That was in 2005 though. I would like to see what a modern setup with modern cooling can do. Even if I don't break the 8ghz barrier I think I can still take the TF record for Ghz.

Thanks Nos.

Hey veedub, how much are you asking for the HSF? Also what fan did you pair with it and is it lapped? Its no big deal if it isn't, I can do that myself.

I also noticed, the Celery the french team had got 28 seconds Super PI, not bad, not great, but not bad. I wonder how it would fare at a stable 7ghz.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom