How to select the good RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the G.Skill HZs purely because everyone recommended them ( and I also had no idea about ram at the time...and still dont know too much ). I never had any problems sticking with the recommended 2.0v-2.1 at 800 mhz and 4-4-4-12. How do the new g.skill PKs stack up?

lol, same here...but I was VERY glad that I did. I also would like to know how the PKs stack up. Also, what about the PIs, which seem to be pretty new (the ones that are a copy of the OCZ dominator heatsinks)

I've been running the PK's for a while now. I love em, great ram. I even ordered another 4GB kit for my new rig, should be here on thursday. I don't think i'll ever run another brand of ddr2. nice and stable. Didn't give me any grief at all overclocking while overclocking my quad.

I got the G.Skill HZs purely because everyone recommended them ( and I also had no idea about ram at the time...and still dont know too much ). I never had any problems sticking with the recommended 2.0v-2.1 at 800 mhz and 4-4-4-12. How do the new g.skill PKs stack up?

the pk's are the newest ddr2 set of ram excluding the PI series. and the PI are the pk's but with a new heatsink, they are obviously not as good as the HZ's but are equally as good as the OCZ for overclocking.

acutally, yesterday i went to poen a parcel with my clients parts, and behold a set of ddr2 4-4-4-12 2x1gb PK's were in there in stead of the supposed cheaper NR's. so i gave the guy my NQ's and put the PK's in my budget build, cant wait to see what i can get these timings to, the Gksill NQ's which got from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 very easily are probably the best value for money ram u can get! these pk's should serve me well also.

the pk's are the newest ddr2 set of ram excluding the PI series. and the PI are the pk's but with a new heatsink, they are obviously not as good as the HZ's but are equally as good as the OCZ for overclocking.

acutally, yesterday i went to poen a parcel with my clients parts, and behold a set of ddr2 4-4-4-12 2x1gb PK's were in there in stead of the supposed cheaper NR's. so i gave the guy my NQ's and put the PK's in my budget build, cant wait to see what i can get these timings to, the Gksill NQ's which got from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 very easily are probably the best value for money ram u can get! these pk's should serve me well also.

The PKs were obviously not as good as the HZs? What? Aren't the HZs much older? So would it actually be a downgrade if I got 4 gigs of the PKs or the OCZ Ram everyone alludes too?

one of the two, im not sure

yeah the gskill HZ were an expensive set and are very good overclockers, HZ is the best series of gskill you can get, no other gskill sets are better than the Hz's. well kinda, they wouldnt overclock aswell is what im trying to say, whether or not they give better stock performance im not sure, it would be minimal if so anyway.

one of the two, im not sure

yeah the gskill HZ were an expensive set and are very good overclockers, HZ is the best series of gskill you can get, no other gskill sets are better than the Hz's. well kinda, they wouldnt overclock aswell is what im trying to say, whether or not they give better stock performance im not sure, it would be minimal if so anyway.

well um...how do I even know if the stock HZ setting of my ram which was like 2.0v at 4-4-4-12 wasn't overclocked? I had read a lot of feed back on the ram and a lot of people had problems getting it with any tighter timings or mhz. Hopefully when Thanksgiving comes around, another 2 gigs of HZ G.Skill will drop in price from its $109 price tag ( hasn't changed in a whole year since I got it ), so I can get 4 gigs and not worry about getting a whole brand new set of 4 gigs.

i have not heard anything bad about the HZ's besides one person i think nagasama maybe, who couldnt get their HZ's very high only at like 950mhz will still isnt bad. i had mine at 1200mhz but at a highish voltage and wasnt completley stable. but i had em running 24/7 at 1100mhz for ages.. untill i got mt second 2gb set of ram free) aince they were **** and didnt overclock (patriot) i had to clock em down.

You might just be better off gettin PK's they are rated same stock timings and speed. HZ are not worth the price and i dun see em cuming down... ill make a thread or pm you once i overclocked my PK's to see how good they go if you want.

i have not heard anything bad about the HZ's besides one person i think nagasama maybe, who couldnt get their HZ's very high only at like 950mhz will still isnt bad. i had mine at 1200mhz but at a highish voltage and wasnt completley stable. but i had em running 24/7 at 1100mhz for ages.. untill i got mt second 2gb set of ram free) aince they were **** and didnt overclock (patriot) i had to clock em down.

You might just be better off gettin PK's they are rated same stock timings and speed. HZ are not worth the price and i dun see em cuming down... ill make a thread or pm you once i overclocked my PK's to see how good they go if you want.

hmmm you had 2 different sets of 2 gigs of ram in your computer? I didn't even think that was possible let alone a really bad idea for stability reasons.

Also how much did your 3dbenchmark scores or practical performance increase when overclocking your HZs from 800 to 1100, seems kind of unworth it unless theres a huge jump in performance and I doubt it.

Thanks for the information though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom