Forum aesthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I was wondering if tech forums will ever change its layout.

It's still very messy, and the forums never moved to the domain root. It has been like this for about two years (the big forum upgrade). vBulletin got updated, the forum moved to /pc/, the forum title was changed to 'Computer Forums' and the old skin was lost.

Welcome back.
Funny thing... I was about to create a thread last night entitled "Where has The Major been"?
Strange, eh?

I agree with your post ... but if I say anything certain people will just assume that I'm just being an ***. But, I'll follow the march of the OP ... sure :)

It is still un the /pc cause there are plans to make a portal and use the root for something else.

The skin is being discussed.

The layout i have no control over. Sorry.

I really don't find the layout that bad. Maybe it could use a facelift with some new buttons or effects but navigating is pretty easy.

My opinions:

PORTAL PAGE
1) Portal page (domain root) has "Computer Forums" to the right. Why? It's clearly the title driven from the html, but ... the site name is "Tech-Forums" ... right? Just looks odd there

2) Again, picking on the "Computer Forums" title ... We talk about more than computers here. Which is why, in my opinion, "Tech-Forums" fits better.

3) Tech-Careers and Tech-Forums 2 Advanced images in the top right don't have links and just sit there. They also have a weird gradient that stems from nothing... I'm as blind as a bat when it comes to cosmetics, but it just looks "odd" thats all.

4) On the portal page, there is a link in the upper left called "Tech-Jobs" which directs you to the tech-careers page. And on THAT page it's titled "Tech-Careers"... so which is it?

5) On the tech-careers page, the Tech-Forums and Tech-Forums2 link both go to techist.com/pc ... So, is this TF2?

FORUMS
1) What's up with the top of the page? I understand the TF logo/banner, but then you have a little text link that goes back to the portal labeled "Computers" :confused: Why not just make a "Tech-Forums Home" or "Tech-Forums Portal" banner? Make it Purrrrty :)

2) In some places (especially the breadcrumbs) tech forums is called "Tech-Forum" and in others it's labeled "Tech-Forums". In all cases, proper grammar just calls for the title of the site... Like "Tech Forum Information".... it should read "Tech-Forums Information" right? lol... I don't know. And most of me doesn't really care I guess. Just bugs me a little. If I were at the helm... it would drive me Casey McCrazy

3) Search results are limited to 200?

4) attachments are Nancy McNull and Void

There are literally hundreds of people here that would certainly help you here FOR FREE, if nothing else... for experience, why not just get a little help from people here to make this site look outstanding! Create a group called "TF Project" and then create your own hidden forum, and plan out your deal.

If this forum was for "Home improvements" or "gardening" I could understand. But, to have a technical forum not taking advantage of technology in every possible case is just Lucy McLazy ...

Again, just my opinion. I REALLY am NOT trying to offend anyone. Just constructive criticism
I'll stop *****ing :)

Actually, you made some very good, and very valid, points. All of these need to be looked at in a serious light.

I'm not sure, but I think searches are set to 200 as a time-saving measure, or to reduce strain on the server. Since we are on the new server, this shouldn't really be an issue.

Yea, the search provides a timeline ... it's been less than .4 seconds for me every time ... pretty fast.

As for the opinions, it is all just fresh in my mind with our site rebuild Trotter. And the way we planned it really worked out. Some things didn't pan out so well, and some things are still REALLY broken. But most if not all the things that are broken, we aren't going to use until we get them fixed. Anyway, if you ever need a hand with cosmetics, I know this dude ... he drinks a lot of juice :) ... better catch him before he starts charging what he's actually worth! LOL

Holy crap, is that really? Could it be? The Major!?

Where the!.... have you been???

We missed you, now we will never let you leave again.

If you are any good at whipping up vB themes, give Dave a holler, Mike. ;)

If you are any good at whipping up vB themes, give Dave a holler, Mike. ;)

I wasn't referring myself. I was referring Juice Daddy :)
I already said I was blind as a bat. Sure, I can whip up a css file from scratch, but it's going to look terrible! LOL Juice whipped up a couple of css files in his day too :) He might go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom