URGENT, advice on installation needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phate

In Runtime
All right, so i ordered a heatsink/fan earlier this week, and it finally came, and i bought this "retention bracket" that fit it so i would not have to use intels ****** push-pins, but it turns out theres a resistor just a few milimeters in the way, but obviously im not going to move it, so im stuck with intel pushpins.

question is:

how the **** am i supposed to get the intel pushpins to connect? i read that i should push down on the pins in diagonals (top right - bottom left, and visa versa), but when i do that, and get one in, when i go to turn the tops to lock them in, one of them will pop out. or if they dont, when i do the OTHER 2 then the previous 2 pop out and i have to do it again, ive gotten insanely frustrated and am considering calling geek squad from bestbuy since im just so ****ed off at it.

any tips, or a link to a guide? ive been searching for days now for a guide to no avail.

I don't think you're supposed to turn them. Turning them is what releases them if I remember correctly. Just make sure that the pin is turned all the way in the direction that the arrows aren't pointing and then push them in. Its a pain in the *** but thats what you gotta do if you want to use the intel hsf.

Why not just get an aftermarket hsf? Theyre pretty cheap. Xigmatek Rifles are really good and they're like $30 tops.

Rifles have the pushpins too, ferrari. I have one ;).

And yes, you have to turn them. Either that, or line up the little clip on the black pushpin, with the clip on the white inner-pin, and push down until the black clips over the white. I've done both ways, and just gotta be patient. Usually takes me 20 minutes to get a heatsink on lol.

Stock intel coolers w/ the pushpins are loads easier to get on cuz the pushpins aren't blocked by a large heatsink, I've come to learn.

Ohhh ya I forgot the Rifles have them too. I installed one in my friends comp lol MAJOR brainfart lol.

Anyways I guess I was pretty much completely wrong... It takes forever to get those on and even a couple scratches sometimes. Thanks for correcting me carnage =)

so i should be able to get this in?

should i line up the part that is blocking the removal of the pin (i.e. the part that "locks it") and force it down that path so i dont have to turn it?

should i take my motherboard out of the computer (tons of work), or leave it in there? (potentially less work)

ive already spent about 3 hours trying to install this HSF, 20mins isnt cutting it for me D:

Take the motherboard out of the case, and remove everything (including RAM) from it. It's going to make it MUCH easier, since you'll have more room to work. I've learned his the hard way, trying to install my ACF7 when I had it installed...

ugh, all right...

this is turning out to be a HUGE job for such a small thing as upgrading a heatsink.... wish i could install it easier... but i guess its a long job, eh?

stupid intel... they know everyone hates this format, so why do they do it?

it must be INSANELY cheap.

I've heard that its a PITA to get the bracket off though, if you ever need to RMA your board or wanting to replace it, because of the adhesive it uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom