Just built a computer, hard drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxsomethingxx

Solid State Member
I put the computer together and when i start up to set up the BIOS it says no hard drive detected, I have all the cables hooked up to it but it still doesn't detect it. What's the problem here? Also, to set up BIOS do I have to put in the motherboard CD?

First time doing this, sorry for the question.

Edit: It also says express gate is not installed... this is this needed?

Also, to set up BIOS do I have to put in the motherboard CD?

No, you should not have to.

I'll let someone else give you some troubleshooting advice... but first thing's first: do you hear any odd noises coming from the hard drive when it's powered on?

Not that I can hear... There's only two connections in the back of it right? The data
cable and the power cable? I have two of them in the back, but there's a pin connector too, what's this for? Is this why it's not working? It won't go to the BIOS because it goes to a screen that tells me to reboot and put in a boot CD.

The other thing you're talking about is most likely the jumper. The little plastic piece can be removed to give you a different configuration for your hdd... you should look in the hard drive manual (should be able to find it online if it didn't come with one).

I don't think that would be causing the problem you have, but it's a possibility... what kind of hard drive do you have?

At any rate, when you install the OS you will most likely be installing it from a disc, so you will want to boot from your CD drive with the OS CD in anyways, but it should be able to recognize the hdd before this.

Figured it out, didn't plug it into the SATA0 slot. Thanks for the help.

Now, do I have to install the OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom