Keeping system sound active while connected to a TV set

Status
Not open for further replies.

chermesh

Solid State Member
I'm trying to establish a permanent connection between my pc (Lenovo, M55e, running WinXP Pro (SP3)) and a TV. While I manage to get identical video on both units (TV and PC), I lose system sound when I get TV sound.
Is there a way to keep both outlets, system and tv audio, operative?
Can it be gained by BIOS change, software, or is there a hardware solution?

Ran

If you are using the audio out jack then there's nothing you can do. The jack is the same as used on portable radios etc. The internal connection to the speakers will be disconnected as soon a plug is inserted into the jack. It's a mechanical function of the jack.

Well, if this requires soldering, I'm in trouble. I'll most probably lose my Lenovo service insurance.
Is there any other option?

I ran a search for usb sound adapters and found an item with the following specifications:

"USB 2.0 to Audio Adapter
1. Adopted Hua Xun CM108 chip which can simulate the effect as professional as 7.1-channel ;
2. With shortcuts buttons-- increase / decrease in volume, a microphone / headset mute
3. Digital playback circuit frequency response: 48 KS / SEC
4. DAC high-performance 16 headphones Output, 16 of the microphone input ADC;
5. Manufacturers committed to ensuringthe headphone and microphone quality

Will it fit my needs? Isn't its perdormance too weak for a TV set and a home cinema system?
Won't I be better of adding an external sound card?

Ran

"

You might run into multitasking problems using a USB adapter. You might get an occasional interruption that you wouldn't want if you plan on doing any recording. I have a sound Blaster Audigy PCI card outputting audio to my DVR along with S video from my ATI All-in-Wonder card. This frees up the on board audio for system sounds etc. I haven't run into any problems having two different audio devices conflicting with each other.

I see your PC doesn't leave much room for internal expansion. A PCI or PCI express sound card would be better. If you like the present Lenovo sound quality going to the TV, the the USB adapter you are considering should do well for the system sounds.

If you like the present Lenovo sound quality going to the TV, the the USB adapter you are considering should do well for the system sounds.

Your suggestion to use the usb adapter for system sound and the original Lenovo card for tv sounds very interesting. How do I do it? How do I "free" the internal sound card for extra system use and "adopt" the usb one for system chores?

Ran

The software you'll be using to send audio to the TV should have a mixer option to choose which sound device to use. As well as the Windows mixer control panel will allow you to choose which sound device to send system sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom