Installing new Vid Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Army11b

Baseband Member
I currently have garbage on-board video.. Do I install my new card, then reboot and go to bios and switch it, or install drivers first, etc? What order do I go in to install and disable on-board video? Do I also need to go into device manager before hand, Or will the bios switch take care of it all? Thanks..

Matt

havnt done it in a long time but i think this is how u do it, first uninstall the onboards gfx drivers, 2nd restart computer and disable onboard in bios save quit turn off, 3rd install new gfx card, 4th with moniter plugged into gfx card turn on computer and install drivers.

From google:

if you can see your new card in the device manager
uninstall it
disable onboard
turn off the computer and pull the power plug
install the new card and change the monitor cable over to the new card
reboot into the bios and set agp or pci whichever your card is to first detected
save and exit the bios
tap f8 as it is booting and from the options choose
vga mode
when windows finishes booting and installing the card
turn off anti/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer

Do you really need to do all those steps? All I ever do is uninstall the old driver, put the new card in, and get the new driver.

step # 1 uninstall drivers for the current onboard video
step # 2 power off the computer insert the new card
step # 3 turn computer on and change bios from onboard to agp/pci/pcie whichever type of card you have
step # 4 boot into windows and install drivers for new video card
step # 5 enjoy new video card

So if I already have a graphics card and I am replacing it, I:

1- Uninstall current drivers
2- Turn off the computer, take out current card, put new card in.
3- Plug monitor into new card.
4- Turn on computer and login to windows
5- Install new drivers

Is that correct?

step # 1 uninstall drivers for the current onboard video
step # 2 power off the computer insert the new card
step # 3 turn computer on and change bios from onboard to agp/pci/pcie whichever type of card you have
step # 4 boot into windows and install drivers for new video card
step # 5 enjoy new video card
If you don't change the BIOS will the card still work? I threw an old card into my Dad's PC and it worked fine, but it crashed one specific game (I only checked a couple). Any chance that this is due to the fact that I didn't change the on board to pci (I think it was a PCI card)? Or that the game just wasn't compatible with that old card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom