case fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
usually on the non-clear fans if you look on the side it'll tell you which way the blade is rotating and which way the air flows. Aaaaand I'm not 100% sure if the fan is gonna come with screws. I just ordered a fan online and I've never gotten a fan online before so I have no idea what'll come with but I'm kinda leaning towards the fact that it might. If not just go to a local hardware shop and get some screws, don't forget to take the fan so you can get the right size

i will also go for the
Sharkoon Rubber Bolt Set for Fan Installation (4 bolts)
try it out :)
hey should i go for soem grill cover, or just leave that out?

they give it a nice touch, but i feel they block some air, if you have wee ones running around pop on there, it would be bad to have an open fan and some thing geting caught.

also, if it makes noise, then it should make a low-pitched sound . . . not a freakishly annoying high pitch

I'm not 100% sure about the whole grill aspect. I know that I want to drill out the 'grill' thats nothing but a bunch of holes in for the rear fan in the back of the case because yes that will block quite a bit of air coming through. The little thin wire grills that sometimes come standard with some fans I don't would be a problem. If you got down to tiny measurements of wind I'm sure it might make a difference =P

compy said:
just get a 120mm drill bit and drill...

I belive you mean a 120mm "hole cutter"
Adjustable Hole Cutter
NOT a drill bit:

If you were actually find a 120mm drill bit at the closest industrial machine shop/supply store, it would require at least a 2-4 inch chuck, a power-device, (such as a drill-press) that accepts that kind of chuck... the bit alone (used) could be easily hundreds of dollars, and the chuck could run right up there with it. (Assuming you actually FIND them)

Just thought I'd say that, so noone goes to their local chain-hardware store looking for a 120mm (~5 inch) drill bit, and get laughed at. :D

EDIT: To find the airflow direction, just look at the blades - use your knowledge of physics and air resistance/friction to figure it out. I never really look at the arrows. If that doesnt help, the air always flows on the side of the motor supports (one side is completely open, and the other has four plastic supports in an X or + shape.)

Yeah thats also true alec. about just looking at the blades. I just added a vantec tornado 80mm fan to the rear of my case and then put the original 80mm fan I had at the rear at the front. Right before I put these fans in I checked temperatures. My computer was running at 57C then after I moved the fans and shit around I'm running at 59C. Call me crazy but isn't temps supposed to go down when installing a fan? Granted I need to remove that back grill to get more efficient air and find a better setup for my fans

yeah...hehehe, drill bit...oops, but you know what i mean by the hole cutter though, hollow in the middle and then the sides cut. anyways.

hmmm...i would say cheack your airflow, any wires in the ways? also, try shifting the tornado in front, you know? or to the sides, just shift them around untill you find the right spot for each fan.

Heh, yeah... I was trying to find an example of that type of hole-cutter, but could only find ones like the one I posted... anyways...

You might also check to make sure all teh fans are spinning...
Not to say you didnt already check that, but.... one time i was installing some fans in my brothers computer and wondered why it was so quiet and his temperatures were so high - then I noticed half the fans (all the intake ones, which were on one string) werent even plugged in. heh

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom