why is AMD as fast as INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true (the heat issue)...

I have a friend with an Athlon xp3200+
Now, the performance is pretty close to equal to my p4 2.8ht...
but his runs at 150-160F, whereas mine idle's at 88F and gets to 120F when I'm pushing it. I've never gotten over 123F except that one time
I forgot to put thermal paste on....hehe.... oops.

Man you guys are rough on your processors. Mines overclocked and still around 100F. You need to LOVE your processor and it will LOVE you back.

agex000 said:
*Tell your friend this*

AMD has shorter pipelines than Intel. Therefore they do not need as high of a frequency. Obviously he will have no clue what that means... So tell him this...:

Intel: One car drives down a 100 ft. street at 20 km/h
AMD: One car drives down a 50 ft. street at 10 km/h

Both cars are going to reach the end at the sametime, regardless of speed.

thats a good way to say it, but it doesnt show another part of the pipeline stages . . .

in that example, the amd and intel will reach their destination at the same time . . .

that would be in a perfect world . . .

but its not a perfect world . . .

in the pipelines, little bubbles show up (empty instructions), and when they reach the end of the pipeline, it makes the entire instuction cycle after that to start over . . .

pentium has 20 stages, athlon has 12 . . .

P4 : i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i

AMD: i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i > i

obviously, if the chain has to start all over, athlon has the advantage since it has less ground to cover

Nikkon said:
Agreed, that what short pipe lines will do to ya AMD Hippies !

Sure the Athlon XP might heat up in most cases, but the Athlon 64 are extremely cool, even cooler than a Northwood and uses less than half the power of a P4 Prescott.

well i'd rather have a hot chip and put a good heatsink on it that have a cpu that takes forever to do stuff

yeh the heat problem is a little ineffiecent, just thing of all that energy loss, no wonder my laptop battery only lasts and hour and a half

ah but i wanted a 64bit processor... and the heat problem is inefficient wether its a laptop or desktop, altho i guess it means you can have fans with pretty colors or a nice cooling fluid that reacts with ultra violet for the more wealthy

ShadowDragon said:
ah but i wanted a 64bit processor... and the heat problem is inefficient wether its a laptop or desktop, altho i guess it means you can have fans with pretty colors or a nice cooling fluid that reacts with ultra violet for the more wealthy

did you get the mobile 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom