HTPC temp issue with 9800gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats $15 more and it doesnt exhaust the heat out the case. Thats the main advantage the cooler has over all the others. Not to mention it just downright looks good, and keeps a low profile.

Other coolers can keep the core a bit cooler, but overall case temp is lower. And if youve got two of them in SLI, its even better.

They were pulled of the market and there was such a huge demand for them that EVGA is bringing them back in a couple days, just to let you know how good they are. And it even comes with the thermal pads mounted already and thermal paste preapplied on the copper core.

more info:
[H] Enthusiast - EVGA AKIMBO

The stock 8800GT/9800GT cooler sucks.

Its loud, and doesn't cool very well at low speeds and if it gets any dust inside, it can only be removed by pulling the whole thing off. And the dust can make temps rise even more.

Heres what im gonna recommend, one of the best cooling solutions for the 8800GT.

EVGA | Products

It should be in stock very soon, its made for the reference 8800GT but im pretty sure the reference 9800GT follows the same exact design. Very good cooler, looks great and cools great too...and its very quiet up until 50% fan speed.

Lol, loud is an understatement, the thing sounds like a plane taking off when I start folding. I would have gone with a "smaller" card but since the comp is on 24/7 anyways, I figured i'd get something that could fold decently.

The accelero rev 2 has always been good to me, I have two 8800gt's on other rigs and as a passive cooler is dropped load and idle temps by atleast 10C each time (well below 70C @ load) Even adding fans did little to change it...another degree or two. But that was in my cosmos 1000 case which has better airflow and isn't as congested.

I knew there would be minimal airflow but I had no idea it would impact it so much....even with the lid off the case:

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone Lascala LC20B Black HTPC Desktop Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS - LC20B In Canada.

the temps still exceed 100C. Anyways, next is to try it with a couple of low velocity fans on the cooler and on the back of the case...see if that makes any difference.

If that doesn't work I'll look at the akimbo cooler...any other suggestions for quiet coolers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom