Video Card Red Light GTX 280 ssc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smparris

Beta member
Well, this perisisting issue has boggled the mind of me and the Evga tech support.
My problem is that while running 2 gtx 280's SSC editions in sli one of the cards stop responding with a red light on the card and the system obviously crashes. It happens while playing games or benchmarks (Crysis, 3dmark 06, Vantage). I know the red light is supposed to indicate power supply issue, but i have an ocz 1000 watt psu. Ok maybe the psu is bad (NO) according to evga tech support. So I purchase an Utra 1600 watt, but I am using the 15 amp plug so it only runs at 1200 watt, more than enough power. Same problem occurs. Waste of money I think so. Next step, one of the cards is bad so I did an rma on one the cards at random just to rule out that issue, Knowing that the cards by themselves work perfectly. Same issue, So maybe its the motherboard, I purchased a new board just because I didnt want to wait for the rma, same problem, but at the same time I purchased a new processor just because I wanted an upgrade any way, going from an E8400 to a q9550. and purchased different ram so I have 4gb Mushkin pc8500 and 4gb Corsair dominator pc 8500 Same problem, same hairpulling issue. So then after talking with evga tech support, maybe there is a short in my case hmmmm. So i set everything up on a bench and tested it outside the case with , ocz 1000 watt psu, e8400 with stock cooler, 780i mobo, 4gb dominator, 2 36gb raptors in raid running Vista 64 and 32 bit. Same problem. So basically I have two of nearly everything enough to make two computers, my only conclusion is that there is an issue with the 780i FTW boards themselves, I have been an avid computer builder and gamer for years, I am at the dunno stage of whats going on as well as the evga techs. I live in a small Missiouri town so there is no where I can take it to do anymore multiple tests.

Here is a list of detailed specs of all my parts, I have tested all using different cominations of proceesors, mobos, psu's, cpu coolers, ram, video cards. Know that the video cards work individually and when in SLI the red light comes on either at random, but not both. all tests where done at stock clock settings.

Cpu's: Intel Core2Duo e8400 and q9550
Cpu cooler: Ultra Chill Tech Thermal Electric, and stock cooler
Motherboard: two evga 780i FTW editions
PSU: OCZ gameXstream 1000 and Ultra X3 1600 (running 1200watts on 15 amp plug)
Video cards: evga gtx 280's SSC Edition (I have 3 of these but only trying to run dual sli, each card works by its self)
Ram: 4gb Mushkin pc 8500 and 4gb Corsair Dominator
Hard Drives: two 36gb WD raptors set in raid for OS, and 2 500 gb Samsung for storage
Tower : Gigabyte Aurora with mesh side panel
Monitor: Dell 22" widescreen 1680x1050
Audio is onboard

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thx

This sounds like a motherboard problem or a problem with nVidia's SLI drivers. Have you tried updating the BIOS to it's latest version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom