why is AMD as fast as INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.. thanks guys for the info

Now that i know a little more about it, could i ask you a question?

is there a way to know instructions per cycle or is it the same throughout all AMD cpus???

Well, ans AMD 2800 is 1.08 ghz

Mine says it's 1.8 ghz ( 9X200) multXFSB in the bios and other

programs. Does is it mean it's wrong??

oh that's just great. AMD could be way better than intel, but nooooo...there just HAS to be something blocking it, now doesn't there???

i like to think of them like cars. just because one car has more horsepower, doesnt mean it is neccesarily faster than another car.

(i know this doesnt give reasons for the speed, but maybe he will understand an analogy like that)

actually thats a very good point grim gopher. if one car is more aerodynamically enginnered than a box with 3x the horespower the former will perform better.

amd is enginnered well, but intel has higher clock speeds, thus equal performance.

Regulus said:
oh that's just great. AMD could be way better than intel, but nooooo...there just HAS to be something blocking it, now doesn't there???

Shorter pipelines also = lower clockspeed.

Some people can get a FX-53 to oc at 2.6. Amazing isn't it.:rolleyes:

But there are more that determines the potentiol of the cpu... like the great amount of bus speed and cache on a Athlon 64.

If amd cant clock as high as intel them why do they keep making higher ones?? Hence AMD 3600,3800 it keeps getting faster :p

As technology gets better so will the clock speeds. Its been that way since the first CPU's.

There's also another little issue that you guys are forgetting to mention.

Heat. AMD's produce a lot of heat, that needs to get dissipated. I would hate to see the heat sink and fan required if AMD produced a chip that had a 3.8 GHz clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom