Convince me, Nvidia Vs Ati.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
Okay, hey guys. Around the end of the year ill be getting a new pc, an obvious upgrade from my Pentium 4 2.8ghz with 512mb 333mhz ram.....

Ive already decided im getting the 2.93ghz Nehalem CPU or if i can sqqquuuuze it in, the 3.2ghz Extreme Edition. Ill also be getting 6GB of DDR3 (because its TriChannel so its 6 or 3....) and the X58 motherboard. This meaning it will support SLi and Crossfire.

NOW. I have a problem. I can not separate Nvidia from ATI and that is why i need your help. Below you can find what i will be doing with my pc and other notes.

- Gaming on a 22"/24"
- Using a 19" on the side.
- 3DSMAX
- After Effects
- Fireworks
- Folding
- Wind Tunnel Stuff
- More video editting
- Showing my beast off.

So now im thinking i need (rather want) either SLI 280GTX's or Quad Crossfire 4870X2's.

I was very set in the middle of the year to go with ATI because the Quad Crossfire solution is obviously faster and ATI has the only dual monitor support. But now that i know Nvidia cards will have dual monitor support in SLI and i can use them for massive folding at home and with the new Adobe CS4 and video encoding faster than my Quad core ever could, im torn.

Also, 4870X4 = $1300
SLI 280GTX = $1000

Please, what the **** do i do.....

I'd go with nvidia...cheaper, better folding, and 2 cards scale better than 4

yeah but nvidias cards kinda suck at scaling in sli so thats a moot point. the quadfire would give you better gaming performance if you wanna upgrade to a 30"/40" screen. really i'd go with nvidia, but once they come out with the gtx280+ which are more power efficient. and 55nm i believe.

why go quadfire with 4870 when you can just crossfire 2 hd4870x2, it will be cheaper and better than quadfire and better than SLI GTX280.

Don't get Quad Crossfire, I recommend sticking with one HD 4870X2 or 1 HD 4870 + HD 4870X2

if yoru folding you have to go nvidia. ati wotn compare, also the gap between the 4870x2 and teh gtx280 cant be that much anymore with all the enw drives that have been released by nvidia that have given good performence jumps.

why go quadfire with 4870 when you can just crossfire 2 hd4870x2, it will be cheaper and better than quadfire and better than SLI GTX280.

2 HD4870X2's is QUAD Crossfire......
There is no such thing as 4x 4870 in Crossfire.

And im still torn. So Sli 280GTX+???
I want two cards so i can show off a bit but not once it starts causing me headaches.

or..... 2 9800gx2's i have always wanted one or 2

Naw man no offense, it just isn't worth it. Two 4850's or a 4870x2 would be better in terms of price for performance.
Plus cmon; GDDR5 bragging rights :D.

* when you go with the 4870.

Original poster: I agree with everyone who said two 4870X2's they are much cheaper and better than two 280GTX's in terms of price and performance.

Heres the dilema, yes Quad Crossfire 4870's will give me more gaming performance, but i want to be able to use CUDA (Sli 280GTX). My question is, if im gaming on a 24", will i be disappointed with SLI 280GTX and wish i had bought quad 4870's...??

HD4870X2-85.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom