This is driving me CRAZY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag3

Fully Optimized
I am trying to connect OVER the internet to a PC on a network.

Network IP addresses are usually 192.168.1.1xx - However, to connect to an IP over the internet, you cannot use the network's IP address (192.168.1.1xx). You have to use the internet IP address.

Is there anyway to connect to the internet IP address, and then specify which network IP to connect to (ex..: 192.168.1.100)?

If you are on a network, is there no way to access that computer through the internet???

I cannot figure this out and it is driving me nuts.

Thx for any help u have to offer.

what type of connection are u tring to make... examples- FTP, p2p, mIRC, vpn?

connecting threw a FTP, p2p, or messanger client is very simple.

if your trying make a connection like like a basic Lan network conection, except over the net, u need VPN software. there are some free VPN softwere stuff out there, i dont remember were though.

it may be simpler for u to just use a FTP client, or a Messanger client like Trillian, depending on what your trying to acomplish here.

witch ever way u choose though, thy all sorta connect the same way. u have to specify the port # inside the specific client(ex- like if u use cuteFTP) once u specify the port # and password on the LAN computer, the computer on the WAN side(were u are) also needs to be configured to the same port(or port range). and the router for the LAN comp has to forward that port(or port range) to the specific LAN ip, like 192.168.1.1XX.
------------------------------------------------------------------
FTP, mIRC, and VPN... alow u to specify a dirctory(or Directorys) to be browsed(and with permissions set-allows for upload/download) by outside users, using the specified port, and proper pasword/nick identification.

i havnt used a massaging client ina long time, so i dont know if maybe thy also allow u to set browsable directorys. seems resonable that thy mayhave added that feature by now, im not shur. last time i used a IM client i think u can only send/recieve files from buddys, not browse them, i think.

If you're trying to VPN to an outside network, you first need to tell that network you're doing that. Second, see if you're allowed to do that. Third, make sure that computer you're trying to connect to is setup to allow VPN sessions. Lastly, if someone is on that machine (doing anything from secure work to a private "cut-off" session) you won't be able to get in.

I was trying to use one of those programs that let you access your computer from a remote location.

The computer I am trying to access is on a home network. Therefore there is the same internet IP address, however each computer has its own network IP address (192.168.1.1xx).

The programs I have been using ask for the IP address and port number of the computer you wish to access. If I put the internet IP in, it doesn't find the program's server.

But when I am on a different computer (on the network) and I put the network address (192.168.1.1xx) it connects with no problems.

But when outside the network - I cannot connect with 192.168.1.1xx (obviously ;)), but if I put in the internet IP address, it doesn't work.

when your outside the network, u need to connect to your routers WAN ip.. u can find that in your router options in status. both pc's inside and outside the network need to be on the same port #, and u need to go into your router options to forward that port to the pc inside the lan.

Aaahh! I think that just might work!!! THX SO MUCH JOLANCER! I have been trying to figure this out for the longest time!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom