Rebooting system

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeetop

Baseband Member
Hi guys

i am not very good with computers so i am sorry if anything i say seems stupid. my laptop has now reached maximum memory capacity and my computer is beginning to slow up. i was thinking of rebooting the system.

i have a Dell inspiron 6400 with a windows vista OS

>Would this free up some memory?
>Does this wipe the hard drive?
>i can get an external hard rive to save important doc.s but i am worried about certain programmes that i no longer have a start-up disc for, particularly for my PDA software can i save from lap top to external hardrive?

Can anyone help with some advice (dummy format if possible)?

Your laptop is filled up with what's known as bloatware. All big companies put a lot of it on their computers. It's usually many applications running in the background that a company's sponsors have made.

There are a few of choices you can make. These two are usually the easiest.

1. You can reformat your computer. To do this we'll help you out but you need to make sure you have all the needed drivers.

2. You can download Autoruns and post a screenshot here so we can tell you what applications you can close to save memory.

Your laptop is filled up with what's known as bloatware. All big companies put a lot of it on their computers. It's usually many applications running in the background that a company's sponsors have made.

There are a few of choices you can make. These two are usually the easiest.

1. You can reformat your computer. To do this we'll help you out but you need to make sure you have all the needed drivers.

2. You can download Autoruns and post a screenshot here so we can tell you what applications you can close to save memory.

thanks for the help - cvb 724

i think i will go with option 2 to see how it goes first. i have downloaded Autoruns. i take it you mean by screenshot as "Prnt scrn" if so this will be a significant no. of screens. is this what you mean and will it free up some memory as i now have 15% of free space left?

cvb 724

i am having problems posting the screen shots as i cant paste a prnt scrn to the message board, am i doing this right? any suggestions?

Cheers

You dont paste a Prnt Scrn shot to the message board. You have to paste it to Paint or Photoshop or a Graphics application first and save it as a photo file. Then use Photobucket or Imageshack to upload the file. From there you use the Forum IMG Tag line or use the Direct Image link wiht Img tags to post it on the message board.

Yes paste it in Paint and then save it on a free picture website. I forgot to mention to take a screenshot of the second tab at the top that says Logon so it should only take 1 screenshot. That's the only one we're worried about.

Yep that's perfect.

The first list are programs that you can remove without noticing any difference in the way your computer runs.

adobe reader
applesync
corel photo
e-center
hot sync
isuss
iTunesHelper
kdx
NapsterShell
OpwareSE4
PCMService
QuickTime Task
RoxioDrag
RoxWatch
SSBkgdUpdate
SunJava
TkBellExe
Digital Line
Micrsoft Office
QuickSet.lnk
Dell Support
ehTray
kdx

This second list of programs are optional. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not you use these but they will not harm your computer at all if you remove them.

CanonMyPrinter
Canon Solution
Google Desktop
PeerGuardian

Now all you have to do to remove a program from running at startup is uncheck the box beside each one. Then close Autoruns and restart your computer. You should notice a speed difference immediately. Check to ensure that your memory usage has indeed dropped.

You may have to disable Vista's UAC for Autoruns to work. You'll know if it doesn't work when a Window pops up saying access denied after you click allow.

it wont let me check the boxes, do i need to disable Vista's UAC and if so what is it and how do i do it? or can this be done through task manager

thanks for the tips, it has no doubt increased the speed of my computer and the memory usage has dropped also.

smart lad, cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom