Decent Gaming Rig < $700

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the record, i never said "lol your build suxorz"...i have asked several valid questions that you dont seem interested in answering.
i was also simply stating the fact that the wolfdale chips run cooler, perform better, and overclock much better than toliman, if you dont believe that, you're smoking crack.
go with the builds listed or go with your own build, its your money.
two things:
why go with crossfire 4850's?
it costs more, uses more power, could be a headache at times (crossfire), has half the memory bandwidth (gddr3 vs gddr5), and you will see marginal gains over a single 4870. and yes i know what i am talking about, i just bought my 4870 after looking at it vs crossfire 4850's in depth. when you crossfire 4850s your max resolution with extremely high settings will be 1920 x 1200, and that wont last for long with the new crop of games coming out. with a single 4870, you have excellent framerates up to 1920 and the ability to add a second for crossfire when the games require it (probably not too distant future).
and secondly, to be blunt,
if you are telling me that your 125W, 65nm AMD quad (a WELL known heat producer) has a LOAD temp of 38* celcius and you are using a stock cooler at stock voltage, while my 95W, 45nm q9450 C1 stepping chip (a WELL known cool chip) loads out at 10-12* higher than that (and im using my chips VID, ie stock voltage of 1.25V, although it will run stock speed at a little over 1.0V) and im using one of the best air coolers made...
then yes...i need some valid proof, because i just dont think that is possible. if you want to take that as me saying "lol BS", then i guess thats okay, because that is basically what i mean. maybe...MAYBE with water you would get that temp, but i seriously doubt it.
but, i can only bang my head against a wall for so long. i HAVE the proof, i've owned FIVE AMD chips in the last YEAR...and NONE OF THEM have run a load at 38*C and they ALL have lower stock voltage and TDP than your 9850. i dont know how much more specific i can be on that point.
supporting AMD is fine, a lot of us have done it for a long time. best build for the money, we all want that. but dont come shake the bees nest if you dont want to get a few stings.

I'm lookin' at my AMD Overdrive right now, and it's posting my processor at 34°, and it's hot in my room. I just loaded the processor, and it hit 38.5°. So... I won't go further into that. I made this thread for a reason; if I feel like showing you what my processor can do, I will make a new thread about it.

Back on topic, I didn't choose a 4870 because I'm keeping the price under 700 dollars. A 4850 is right in that mark, and is still a great card. What I did for them was, gave them a cheaper upgrade than taking out their single 4850, and putting a 4870 in there; I let them buy a half-priced 4850, which they can Crossfire, and get marginally better performance than a single 4870. I have a 4870 myself, upgraded from a 4850, and downgraded from a 4870 X2, and the performances are all completely different. I have yet to specifically test a Dual-4850 setup, but this price list is where I want it for the video card.

I was noticing that aswell, Phil, but when I found all the combo's, I couldn't place the price point under what I had on my current setup, which I just posted a list to. The performance diff between the 8400 and the Q6600 aren't that great, and the Q6600 combo's don't fit the setup, so I can't use them. :( But it's still 50 dollars more for something most of them won't notice. More money in my pocket, with the first build!

I'm lookin' at my AMD Overdrive right now,and it's posting my processor at 34°, and it's hot in my room. I just loaded the processor, and it hit 38.5°So... I won't go further into that. I made this thread for a reason; if I feel like showing you what my processor can do, I will make a new thread about it.

*sigh* dude, what part of "thats not possible with air cooling" do you not understand? your temps/sensors are wrong, or you are pulling my leg.
i mean, what are you loading it with...internet explorer?
you seem to know more (at times) than most people who come on to ask about a build critique. so, either you dont know jack, or you are here to start arguments with those of us who are trying to do exactly what you asked in the first place. once again, i am not trying to flame on you, BUT i can assure you (unless i am TOTALLY and GROSSLY misinformed), that phenom is NOT loaded with a 4.5* difference in temp. and if it is loaded, your temp sensors are wrong. i dont understand people that ask for opinions, and when they are given opinions backed by facts, simply refute the facts as nonsense. you would be the FIRST...EVER owner of a 9950 that i have read or talked to that claims those temps on air. let alone stock air. but, you aint the ONLY one i've ever talked to.
LOL if you "feel like showing me what your processor will do" then i will stop calling you out on those numbers.

sigh at people who come of her for advise and push it right back at your face when you give it them.

and ye, phils build is the best your gonna get for 700bucks.

sigh at people who come of her for advise and push it right back at your face when you give it them.

and ye, phils build is the best your gonna get for 700bucks.

The problem was, it wasn't 700 bucks. I'm not pushing any advice in anyone's face, I'm telling them what I see. :p (Btw its a 9850, not 9950)

Actually thta build would easily make it under 700 bucks with a few chnages. That 750tx was ovedrkill, you could save cash with a 550vx. That would give you more headroom. And there is no way a Phenom can out perform an e8400 in general tasks. it beats it in some things, but the e8400 takes the crown.

If you want to convince us that you are getting us temps give us some screen shots. I want cpu-z validation on your cpu, screen shots of speed fan, core temp, or something legit (not an amd app) and a 3dmark or4b would be nice.

That's how we do things here. Hearsay is hearsay until you give us proof.

(Btw its a 9850, not 9950)

ok, my mistake in typing that in the last post. but, that doesnt matter, because i am basing it on a 125W processor (which the 9850 is), not a 140W processor (which the 9950 is).
plus, when you were mentioning the e-series temps in one of your posts...you know you have to use a specific application to read 45nm wolfdale temps correctly, right? you cant use speedfan or everest, they are wrong.

Regardless of your cpu, I want to see some proof. I have had enough of users saying things, I want them to show things.

You may do things like that here, but, here, you guys don't... Well, hear. :| I already told you this thread is not about that, and I careless. Maybe if you guys don't want to help, I'll take my questions elsewhere, where they don't think they're on the internet pedestal.

Yes, I am going to work, so I won't post for hours. Don't think I left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom