Which way is more beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
Very soon I will building a new rig and and will overclocking it.

My question is the following under the assumption that you have a Q6600 and 800mhz ram, is it better to keep a Q6600's multiplier at 9 and increase the fsb so that you can get 1:1 between cpu and ram as close as possible or.....

decrease the multiplier but the increase the fsb even more and use 1066mhz ram to achieve higher ram speeds.

Sorry if I don't seem to make sense, I don't know a lot about this, but I tried to explain the best I could.

Thanks,

-Chris

to get 1:1 with a 9x mult ur cpu would be at 3.6 which is about as fast as u go 247 with a q6600, and if u buy a new one u prolly wont be able to get that fast out of it anyway cuz alot of the newones are bad vid wise. if u want 1:1 with 800 i would lower my multi to 8 and run a 3.2.
with ram at 1066 with anything over a 6 multi its pushin it: 533 * 7 = 3.731 533*6 =3.2, also another thing to make sure is that ur mb can handle 533 fsb

so if ur runnin at 3.2 for either of these more fsb would be better, and faster ram..

I don't run 1:1. I don't see the rush to do so. I like to keep my multiplier maxed. Puts the weight on the cpu not the mobo, and it is far easier to get good cooling to a cpu. Mobo cooling often involves zip-tieing an old small fan to the North Bridge heat sink.

lower your multi to 8 and go 1800fsb, with your ram at 900, with your q6600 at 3.6 itl be very very nice oc you will enjoy, i notice a lot more responsiveness when i have my fsb at 1800 then when i do at 1600 with a 9x multi. 500fsb is abotu as high as you will go for nb, i should try to push mien a litle more at a 7x multi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom