Video card problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's usually a 4 or 6pin additional power feed for the higher end cards. The quick install guide that comes with the card should tell you right there with the illustration.

For ATI cards the ATI folder created will see the catalyst/driver removal tool right there. I've been running strictly ATI cards for the last few years while NVidia should have their own you use before attempting the install of an update. Sometimes the installer will do this for you but not generally for video and sound cards.

Basically all you do is download the correct update to a folder to have onhand but first see if there's an uninstaller in the software folder on the drive. When removed you then run the installer for the update.

With the new card at least you now know the board won't have to be replaced afterall. At least you have some good news to share on that.

I know. I was so pumped when it worked. So if I uninstall the old video card drivers AFTER I download the newer drivers. I can just unisntall then install the new drivers reboot and be good to go? Like I dont have to uninstall old drivers, restart and then download and install the new drivers right? I don't wanna do it out of order and eff myself. lol

Uninstall the old driver with Driver cleaner Pro.

Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

This step can vary before or after yo do that. Get the new drivers. Restart then install the new drivers. restart again to get the new driver fully functional.

If you do it any other way the new drivers will not install and work properly. Just uninstalling the old driver and then installing the new ones right away will confuse the system without a restart. Possibly even make it so that the new drivers dont isntall and function properly.

It stinks having to restart twice but it is the best way to go about a driver change.

So
1. Download new drivers.
2. Unisntall old drivers
3. restart
4. install new drivers
5. restart
6. GOOD TO GO

haha

Basically yes. That is the best way to go. This is a method that i have used personally with the best results. Any other way has given me some kind of corruption or driver reinstall upon restart without using the Driver Cleaner Pro as using Windows will not fully get rid of the driver and it will be reinstalled with a restart. the old driver that is.

Alright. I am not that bad of a newb. Worse case scenario I uninstall everything and re install the old drivers from the disc. ha

Never said you were that much of a newb. :p

I just use that speech for everyone cause i dont know your tech level. It is easier to explain up front rather than having you ask after i suggest it. ;)

Can I just use the add/remove program on xp? Or it is just best if I use that link you sent me?

With drivers i would say Driver Cleaner Pro. Not all driver software is located in the Add/Remove Programs. Most of the time if it is that is only for the extra things like the nVidia Control Panel and such. Upon restart the drivers will be found by Windows and reinstalled.

Driver cleaner pro eliminates them completely from teh system. So upon restart you have low resolution and colour. It stinks but you only have to install the new driver then restart to get back to what you like.

NVidia should have an uninstaller either in the software folder created on the drive or on the software that came with the card. The other option is to go to the download section at their support site.

For video cards like a number of other expansion cards you often have to use their driver/software removal tool in order to see an update go on after. A good deal of that has to do with removing registry values as well as the driver files themselves. You'll see this with pci devices like tuners cards as well as seen on NVidia and ATI models.

But the need to restart after each step? Mak is quite correct on this. Once you use a remover you still have to see the drivers unloaded from the active ram. When rebooting those are then unloaded and gone for good.

The same goes for installing where you see new reg entries instructing Windows to load those at startup but not until you restart the system and then see them loaded into memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom