Not open for further replies.

caveman

Solid State Member
I have a Compaq Evo N800v laptop with the following:

2.4 GHZ Intel Penitum 4 processor
512mb pc2700 ddr ram
40 GB IDE Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional W/SP3

My problem is ... when i turn it on the screen is blank when it boots up, unless i hit ctrl, alt delete ... like 20 times when i go to boot it up then it will work, it is not oviously the backlight because it works at full power when i hit ctrl alt delete a couple of times when it is trying to boot up. There is no vertical or horizontal lines on the screen. I have done some googleing about this model and all i could find was people having lines going through the screen. My laptop is out of warranty. There is no signs of damage on the screen. Could it be the inverter? And before any of you say anything ... no it is not a windows problem so don't suggest i reinstall windows, and do not even suggest it is an antivirus problem either. I have more knowledge about computers than the average user because I am COMP TIA A+ Certified but I was not taught alot about laptops but I at least know i can not the backlight. I don't know what It could be so i am seeking some help/advice on this forum. Thank you for all the help!

So when does it occur? Before or right after the BIOS spash screen? If it is before then try to update your BIOS. If it is after then it certainly sounds like a Windows boot configuration issue.

ok i will try that but if that does not work or it works for a while but then i have the same problem again then what should i try?

Honestly i couldnt tell ya. If you have the latest BIOS and the CMOS doesnt clear it after resetting it to factory settings i would have to say there is a error with the BIOS setup or soemthing like that. Cause to have the screen be black even before the BIOS is not right.

Could be that the video source is dying on ya.

well i could not find information about what the inverter does, so how about the inverter? could that be a problem? what does the inverter do anyway? can you point me in the right direction about finding out what it does? Thanks! I will still try clearing the CMOS later and let you know if it worked!

the bios is not the problem i think it is more a hardware problem. i just turned off this laptop and then went away for 2 hours and came back and booted it up and it came on like normal but it happens at random i think it has to sit longer for it to do this. Maybe some kind of part gets cold and does not work right away and then when it is warm it works fine? If i reboot my laptop it boots up fine because it was already working properly. I need more suggestions please!

Wow, that really sounds strange. Some of the time I heard of damage in televisions, the screen heats up and nothing except white shows. I'd try and find the specs on it and pull the parts that deal with your video. Since it's such an 'old' laptop and lcd screens aren't cheap it's a shot in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom