Computer Runs, but no signal from monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinsil

Baseband Member
Just started having this problem last night. Came home and my monitor had lost signal. Tried rebooting, and usually I can get windows to load up for 10-15 mins before it loses signal. Now most of the time it won't even load up at all without losing signal.

Computer makes normal noises as if loading up but somewhere signal is being lost to monitor. Tried taking out my video card and its fan and making sure everything was working good, but did not help.

Tried switching monitors and did not help either.

I've had the same setup since last November so not sure what the problem could be. Everything sounds normal, just monitor loses signal at random times when loading up, longest I've had it made it was 15 mins.

Would greatly appreciate any help on things to try. I'll try to get a different video card to put in there later and see if it works with a different one.

When it powers up does it beep just once or multiple times, could possibly be a video card failure but don't jump to conclusions just yet.

Could be a corrupted video card. Could be a PSU issue.

Link to my Power Supply

Tried putting in a old 9250 Radeon and computer runs fine. Now I can't even get the 7900GS to get the signal to the monitor at all. My temperatures have always been great because I live in basement, don't overclock either. My fan on the video card sometimes speeds up a little bit when monitor loses signal then returns to normal fan speeds.

Could use some more advice, thanks.

Have you removed the old drivers before installing the nvidia drivers? It could be that the system is still recognizing the ATi card as the main video source which is why it will not work with the 7900 in there.

Use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove the ATi driver fully. Then shut down and place in teh 7900.

Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

I just now put in my 9250... I don't even have any drivers installed for it. My 7900GS stopped sending a signal to my monitor or something so I had to put in my old PCI card so I could come on here and post.

What makes a video card die after 11 months if everything else looks good though? :confused:

I'm assuming this doesn't mean my next card will suffer the same fate does it?

Requested my RMA number. Thankfully warranty is still in place, so they should give me a replacement, not sure how long that'll take though.

Thanks again for your help Mak.

It oculd have been from a bad batch. Could be a number of things that could kill a card after 11 months. If you had overclocked it at all with just stock cooling this could be a factor. Could be for how long you ran it under load with it being hot. There are just to many things that it could have been.

This doesnt mean that the next card will suffer. I had a 6800 that still runs to this day. Got it with my Dimension 8400 like 5 years ago. There is no explaining why something goes bad. It jsut does at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom