Beta member
I have a system running:

Asus Rampage Extreme
4 gigs of 1600 DDR ram
core 2 quad Q9650 3.0ghz
2 Radeon 4850's in Crossfire mode
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w PSU
WD Velociraptor 300GB Sata drive as my main OS drive, and
6 one terabyte sata drivers running together in a RAID 5 configuration.
I also have 3 optical drives.

The system posts fine, but when it it powered off it will not power back on, untill I unplug the power form the back of the PSU and remove the 24 pin connector off the motherboard for several minutes. If I unplug all the raid drivers, I can use the system fine, startup and shutdown no problems. I have already tried another of the same PSU's, with the same results, Is there a solution that will give me more power?

Any help is appreciated.

That should be plenty.....
Even 1TB HDD's only use about 10W of power... and 4850's arnt exactly known for power consumption...

yea, that should be plenty for what you are running. You might have a messed up RAID controller that is compromising the system.

yea, that should be plenty for what you are running. You might have a messed up RAID controller that is compromising the system.

Yeah because if you turn raid off, the power requirements don't change, you still have the same hardware plugged in. Its the raid controller.

You don't even need a 1200watt psu for dual 4870X2s. You dont need one unless you have a multi cpu motherboard. Not something you see very often in the pc realm, that tends to be a server thing.

Sounds like a bad RAID controller. Make sure you have it configured correctly. If that checks out then it is probably faulty.

No! 1200W isn't enough. Better get a 2000W one, if you have any power left over you can power the microwave and air conditioner or jump start your car with it. Everyone should use one of these:

Newegg.com - ePOWER EP-2000P10-T3 2000W ATX12V Ver.2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

because only that provides enough power for every PC in existence.

Seriously though, I highly doubt you need 1200W. 850W like above posts have stated seems like plenty, I'd go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom