Laptop melting my charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprileekittiez

Solid State Member
I have a Acer laptop which i got about 2 years ago so im beyond warranty, anyways i never had a problem with it until now, i noticed when i charged it the tip would get very hot and my finace would say it was normal, but i knew it wasnt but i guess i just believed him, then a few months went by and i noticed the tip was all destroyed, it looked melted and burned out but it still worked, but it was lose so it wouldnt keep charging unless i had it at a certain:confused: spot, i thought it was just the charger itself so i bought a new charger and it started to melt the new one too but not as much bc i figured that was the problem and i since stopped using it! i have eliminate every possibility the only thing i could possibly think of was its the fan, I even did a battery test where i took the battery out to see how it would react, and nothing changed. does anyone know what for sure this could be or even an estiment on how much this could cost?

What's the wattage of the charger? What's the Acer model number? Does it get real hot while running without the battery?

Sounds like the power connector on the laptop is faulty. The first thing I would do is call the manf., while this laptop is no longer under warranty on MAJOR malfunctions they may replace the part. Like those laptops a while back that their batteries exploded after so much use - this is an obvious manufacturing default. They may have a recall on your model, it would be worth a look-see.

Assuming they can't do anything, the next best case would be to replace the power connector on the laptop... but the problem is that that is usually a part of the mother board - not a cheap fix. Usually I suggest if the laptop is 3 to 4 years old and the motherboard needs replacing (like this instance) usually it isn't cost effective. The part depending on the model will usually run 150-250, and labor is pretty hefty for a job like that.

Call the manf, see if there is a recall. Explain what is melting and why, and that you could have severly burnt yourself on the melted ends (if you don't play 'hard ball' a lot of companies will walk all over you and say they can't do antyhing, so you have to get really ****ed).

If not let us know the model number of the computer and we could at least point you in the right direction of a new board.

thanks for all that! geeze for the price of that i could get a whole new laptop! i have some people saying its the fan? is that even a possibility? I will actually go to their site now bc they usually have all recalls on their and possibly a number!

thanks

I'd have to see it to be sure - but no it doesn't sound like a fan. If the plastic tip of the charger is actually melting it is a short within the motherboard itself (since we know it isn't the charge b/c it has been replaced).

Fans RARELY cause melting, in fact i can't think of how a fan could cause melting - because they are strategically placed to allow air flow through the computer, when a fan stops working air flow stops, the computer overheats and shuts off. Unless you have a computer for 1997 all computers now have safeguards in place to shut off automatically once a certain temp is reached. So no, i don't feel the fan is the issue - because if anything a faulty fan would just cause the system to overheat and periodically turn off or freeze. A physical melting of a part (the part you are describing) really can only be caused by a short.

Just to be clear - when you say tip you mean the tip of the charger that connects to the computer right?

A cold solder joint on the power jack will cause a build up of resistance. This will cause the power jack to heat up. The more the heat builds up the worse it gets. Eventually there will be a meltdown.

I'd have to see it to be sure - but no it doesn't sound like a fan. If the plastic tip of the charger is actually melting it is a short within the motherboard itself (since we know it isn't the charge b/c it has been replaced).

Fans RARELY cause melting, in fact i can't think of how a fan could cause melting - because they are strategically placed to allow air flow through the computer, when a fan stops working air flow stops, the computer overheats and shuts off. Unless you have a computer for 1997 all computers now have safeguards in place to shut off automatically once a certain temp is reached. So no, i don't feel the fan is the issue - because if anything a faulty fan would just cause the system to overheat and periodically turn off or freeze. A physical melting of a part (the part you are describing) really can only be caused by a short.

Just to be clear - when you say tip you mean the tip of the charger that connects to the computer right?

Yes the actual tip that goes into the computer is what is melting!

There is a issue with the internal connection that the charger connects to. It has a flaw in it that is conducting heat when you have the charger plugged in and is causign the charger cables to melt. I would get it serviced ASAP before it melts another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom