Need a double check(Approval) on my 2nd build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke2

Banned
Hi guys, I'm planning on building a new rig. This is what i've come up with so far
Just need a double check on these compatibility-wise and if the PSU will handle the SLI setup.

CASE - Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case - Computer Cases

HDD - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

MOBO
Newegg.com - ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
or
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M750SLI-DS4 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
or
Newegg.com - MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

MEMORY - Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

PSU - Newegg.com - ENERMAX INFINITI EIN720AWT 720W ATX12V/ EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION Agena 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

GRAPHICS(Running in SLI) - Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX260XPB GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Still deciding on the MOtheboards - Any suggestions ?
Apreciate any comments/suggestions

please remember that my original budget was around $1.1k and I'm already past that :-(

Also one more question :
in the specs of these boards under the PCI x16 2.0 slots it states :

1 x PCI Express x16 slot
1 x PCI Express x8 slot
(The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX8_ slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

or

1 x mazarine PCI Express x16 slot with x16 operation
1 x light-blue PCI Express x16 slot with x8 operation

Is this normal for the SLI setup ?

ty

There are multiple things wrong with that build man. I would post something but in a few minutes puddle Jumper will get his recommendations up.

But to start. Nvidia's motherboards are not that reliable right now and they are overpriced. Secondly Phenom does not compete well against Core2. You can get a lot more bang for buck in a Core2 rig. Also ATI's 4000 series GPUs own the Nvidia cards in everything except 3d mark and folding @ home.

Also PCIexpress 2.0 slots have double the bandwidth of PCI 1.0. So unless you have GTX280's or 4870X2's paired you won't run into issues with 8x PCUe 2.0

I recommend getting these parts Instead of the ones you listed.

Case
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The 300 is a great quality case and has the option to add two additional 120mm fans on the front If you want additional cooling.

Hard Drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The 640gb WD is faster and you get additional storage.

Video Card
Newegg.com - DIAMOND 4870X2PE52G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-Bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 4870x2 is the best card available currently and will beat sli GTX 260's.

Psu
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

The 750tx is a solid psu and will have no problem running your system

Ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

DDR2 800 cas 4 will give you similar performance to the ream you selected but is cheaper.

Motherboard
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The tp45HP is an excellent overclocker and is one of the best p45's.

Cpu
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The q9550 si significantly faster than the Phenom you selected, runs cooler, and consumes less power.

The total for all these parts is $1,315 before mail in rebates.

i Recommend Getting These Parts Instead Of The Ones You Listed.

Case
newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Atx Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The 300 Is A Great Quality Case And Has The Option To Add Two Additional 120mm Fans On The Front If You Want Additional Cooling.

Hard Drive
newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Se16 Wd6400aaks 640gb 7200 Rpm 16mb Cache Sata 3.0gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The 640gb Wd Is Faster And You Get Additional Storage.

Video Card
newegg.com - Diamond 4870x2pe52g Radeon Hd 4870 X2 2gb 512-bit (256-bit X 2) Gddr5 Pci Express 2.0 X16 Hdcp Ready Crossfire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 4870x2 Is The Best Card Available Currently And Will Beat Sli Gtx 260's.

Psu
newegg.com - Corsair Cmpsu-750tx 750w Atx12v / Eps12v Sli Ready Crossfire Ready 80 Plus Certified Active Pfc Power Supply - Power Supplies

The 750tx Is A Solid Psu And Will Have No Problem Running Your System

Ram
newegg.com - G.skill 4gb (2 X 2gb) 240-pin Ddr2 Sdram Ddr2 800 (pc2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Ddr2 800 Cas 4 Will Give You Similar Performance To The Ream You Selected But Is Cheaper.

Motherboard
newegg.com - Biostar Tforce Tp45hp Lga 775 Intel P45 Atx Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The Tp45hp Is An Excellent Overclocker And Is One Of The Best P45's.

Cpu
newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83ghz 12mb L2 Cache Lga 775 95w Quad-core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The Q9550 Si Significantly Faster Than The Phenom You Selected, Runs Cooler, And Consumes Less Power.

The Total For All These Parts Is $1,315 Before Mail In Rebates.

+ 1 :)

I recommend getting these parts Instead of the ones you listed.

Case
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

The 300 is a great quality case and has the option to add two additional 120mm fans on the front If you want additional cooling.

Hard Drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The 640gb WD is faster and you get additional storage.

Video Card
Newegg.com - DIAMOND 4870X2PE52G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-Bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 4870x2 is the best card available currently and will beat sli GTX 260's.

Psu
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

The 750tx is a solid psu and will have no problem running your system

Ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

DDR2 800 cas 4 will give you similar performance to the ream you selected but is cheaper.

Motherboard
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The tp45HP is an excellent overclocker and is one of the best p45's.

Cpu
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The q9550 si significantly faster than the Phenom you selected, runs cooler, and consumes less power.

The total for all these parts is $1,315 before mail in rebates.

-thx for putting your time into your answer puddle
-Regarding the Video Card I had already made the same decision. :)
-The PSU (Maybe i should of been more specific about that) I want a Modular one. - So probably will be keeping the one I picked
-There is no way I'm changing the case i picked - sry
-i don't really care about the HDD much at all. - So the cheaper the better of those two listed
Regarding the processors - Only reason I chose the phenom was b/c I've never tried Intel and I was not planning on it but if u guys say it's THAT much better - I'll def give it a go
I forgot to mention I'm also buying a separate XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 heatsink.
All in all...
Way past my budget...gdamnit....
Although I will seriously consider it.
1 question - Does it matter that the memory you picked is DDR2 800 and the mobo says it supports 1066 ?

The Intel Q9550 would be a significant improvement over the phenom. Even if you aren't overclocking I would still get the Tp45HP since its a great motherboard for it's price. The 800mhz ram will work fine on the mobo, they just list the maximum speed supported. If you want a modular psu I would get this Antec.

Newegg.com - Antec TPQ-850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

One option to save some money would be getting an E8500 and overclo0king it. It's a dual core but if you overclock it to 4.0ghz or higher it should be more than fast enough for anything you would need. At that speed it would still be significantly faster than the Phenom and would even beat the Q9550 at stock.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

I would also change the cooler to a Sunbeam Core Contact, it's a little better than the Xigmatek and comes with the best thermal paste.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

That means the mobo will support the faster memory, but DDR2 800 should work fine.

If the Q9550 is too high then I woul suggest getting an e8500. Both beat all Phenoms in gaming and run much cooler and use less power. Its a no brainer.

I would also suggest getting 2 gigs of memory instead of 4. I have 4 gigs and I can tell you that the real world performance difference isn't much. At least not yet.

Also, modular power supplies cost more for the same performance, so keep that in mind. You are already over budget.

I really don't know why you are so adamant about the case, but that is more to preference than performance anyways. It reminds me of a Power Mac G4, they had the tilt down panel like that.

Really the biggest reason you are over budget is because you want dual cards. the 4870X2 fits in this category, because it is 2 4870s stuck together. Remember that the price for them is double having only one card. You are at the very bottom of the price spectrum for a high performance crossfire system. It may be better for you to get a 4870 now and in a month or so get another and crossfire them. The only downside is with 4870X2's you would effectively have 4 gpus, while crossfire 4870s gives you to. But there isn't much practical reason for that anyways.

As soon as i saw the first build that needed 'criting' i though of Puddle Jumpers build to the exact model number of every product. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom